C-Band on 1.2 metre dish

COF

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital receiver, and Manhattan Plaza. 90CM Motorized system.
My Location
UK
Couple of questions. Firstly, I would like to receive 1W and 34.5W in the UK. Would this be possible on a 1.2 metre dish?

Also I have been looking at the C-Band LNBs available, and they are clearly considerably bigger than KU band LNBs.

How would I go about attaching a C-Band LNB to a bracket and LNB holder designed for a standard size KU band LNB? I have search C-Band LNB holders on Ebay without much luck.

Thanks for any advice.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
1W on a 1.2m dish, no chance? On a 1.5m dish I just about get 2 transponders.

You will have to make or buy a bracket. The C-band LNB is a bigger diameter than the Ku band one so you need do something with the support arm so the centreline of the C-band LNB is in the same place as the Ku-band one. Maybe bend the arm downwards is one option, but if you don't the C-band LNB will never be at the dish focus.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
i found this on another site,

(there are combination C/Ku band LNBFs that are pretty inexpensive and with the addition of a offset scalar ring accessory reputedly this is what is necessary to enjoy Ku and maybe some C)

if you google

(Using a dual C- and Ku- band LNB on a small dish for C band reception)

you will find links to peeps doing test,

and take a look here

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/157922-setting-a-c-band-lnb-to-a-ku-band-dish/

hope this helps.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Those LNBs are for the USA where Ku band means something completely different. In the European context Ku-band necessitates a universal LNB.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I am "happy" owner of C/Ku LNB, model DMX741U sent from USA. In C-band it works fine, but, unfortunately Ku-band performance is bad, and after installing polarization plate for C-circular Ku works even worse. So, I have this LNB removed from antenna and placed somewhere on the shelf. Anyway, it is better to have separate antennas for C and Ku bands, IMHO.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
RimaNTSS said:
I am "happy" owner of C/Ku LNB, model DMX741U sent from USA. In C-band it works fine, but, unfortunately Ku-band performance is bad, and after installing polarization plate for C-circular Ku works even worse.
Just out of interest is the Ku part circular polarised, as most Ku LNBs for the USA market are?

BTW, I've got to second what Aceb said in the other thread as it applies to this one too...

aceb said:
Experiment with a 1m dish and you'll probably be so disappointed with the results you'll not bother trying again with anything larger. It won't be any use on C Band so no real point trying it.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
thankyou for the info on this, i will be having a play with C band when i get my bigger dish.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Huevos said:
Just out of interest is the Ku part circular polarised, as most Ku LNBs for the USA market are?
When I was buying there where LNBs for USA market and also for European market, model's names were almost same. So, I took the second one and Ku LNB is normal it is only placed behind C and, therefore has bad performance. OK, I was still be able to get all major Ku-band satellites, but after experience with usual Ku-band LNB even without any rings and it showed better results I could not use C/Ku combined with worse performance.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
COF said:
Couple of questions. Firstly, I would like to receive 1W and 34.5W in the UK. Would this be possible on a 1.2 metre dish?

Also I have been looking at the C-Band LNBs available, and they are clearly considerably bigger than KU band LNBs.

How would I go about attaching a C-Band LNB to a bracket and LNB holder designed for a standard size KU band LNB? I have search C-Band LNB holders on Ebay without much luck.

Thanks for any advice.
hi-
the first C band transponder i managed to pick up (a few of years ago ) was with a 1.2 channel master dish - from 1 west -(but only just)- but signals are not as strong from there as they were then - its doubtfull you will get anything from there now - certainly not regular reception .

C band holders are often available from the same source as the l.n.b.
but still require some sort of bracket to be made to get it correctly ont
o the dish.

some C band channels can be received from the stronger satellites with 1.2
to be honest 1.5 is a minimum to get much satisfaction out of C band
1.8 is o.k.but struggles a bit - 2.4 would be much better.

regards ---

RimaNTSS said:
I am "happy" owner of C/Ku LNB, model DMX741U sent from USA. In C-band it works fine, but, unfortunately Ku-band performance is bad, and after installing polarization plate for C-circular Ku works even worse. So, I have this LNB removed from antenna and placed somewhere on the shelf. Anyway, it is better to have separate antennas for C and Ku bands, IMHO.
i agree with all you have said about - DMX741U -
mine also now lives on a shelf!!-- l.o.l.

cheers ---