C band on an offset dish, what do I need ?

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
Hi folks,

C-band n00b inside, so sorry for the following n00b questions.

Basically, I'm beeen thinking of trying out C band on an offset dish.

Can anyone recommend C-band lnb brands that I can order in Europe? Which particular brands? I understand inverto make some, are they any good?

2nd question: Can i fit a C band lnb on a regular 40mm lnb holder? I understand a C band lnb comes with a feedhorn, what diameter are these usually?

3rd question: I've seen there are a couple of feedhorns for C120 Ku lnbs that look like the C band feedhorns. Are they the same rings? Can they be used for C band? like here:
_http://www.multimedial24.de/shop/d_30101.htm

4th question (it's getting more complicated now :-doh!) I would like to do it on my 90cm fibo dish. Is this possible?

thanks ever so much :-worship

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
kamaleon said:
4th question (it's getting more complicated now :-doh!) I would like to do it on my 90cm fibo dish. Is this possible?

My understanding is that the very minimum dish for C band in the UK is 1.2 mtrs,
sorry that is the only question I am able to respond to, I would however doubt the efficacy of purchasing a load of special C band equipment as there is not much C band reception available in the UK see here and here

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
Hi Topper,

thanks for your reply.

Actually, I didn't really mean that. What I meant was if it was possible to mount a C-band lnb on a fibo dish, as these use a specific feedhorn. I recall on some thread the now-banned user Likvid mentioned C band reception on a fibo. I'll go and do a little forum search now ;)

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
i never tested it,on the fibo,because i dont know how to fix it on the lnb flange holder,normaly it should work,coz gain wining is that of a one of 1,50 m dish,this is the absolut minimum size that you should have 1,80 M is better!
depents what satelite ,you want to reveice,with 1,20m you only got some transponder on arabsat telecom 5w,or the rusian yamal satelite @49 east !

on 40,5 w, Signals,have not always the same strenth,some transponders in night time better,then in daytime,and via versa!
raining in cband is no problem,because of the lower freqency!
send pm,if you have more questions,i try to help then!
good night!

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi turok, thanks a lot for your input!

Actually, for the time being I'm still not worried about what I can get or not. I know it might sound stupid, but I'm only wondering if it C-band reception is possible (at least theoretically) on a fibo dish. So if you have any more info on that, feel free to say so! I'll send you a pm at some point.

Thanks for dropping by, I appreciate it ;)

good night to you too

R

Rd100

You can receive quite a bit on c-band on a 1.2m i have myself and pride21 has see his photos here http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...102414-c-band-1-2m-offset-andrew-cm-dish.html,

The best c-band lnbs i have used are the 13k panaroma 13/18v volt switching ones i brought a few from ebay usa they are very cheap to buy the problem you have with using c-band on a offset dish is you need to make a lnb holder of find a dish with 60mm lnb holder also the scalar ring that comes with the dish is designed for a prime focus dish so you would need to make a scalar ring or find a suppler who sells offset scalar rings

Here is the c-band lnb-f that i use ebay. 380027606461

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Rd100,

yeah right, you know what, I'd done a search on ebay for C-band lnbs and that particular one you mention obviously showed up. Funny thing, i thought it'd be crap as it's really cheap! I wonder if I can order it from the U.S. without paying tax (I'm in France). Do you think they're really good? Better than inverto?

Thanks for your tips, I'm starting to see it more clear know. So basically I need an offset scalar ring. How can I recognize one? Are these sold as is?
So basically are all C band lnbs 60mm, is this a standard as much as 40mm is pretty much the average diameter for Ku band ones?

What about the block type ones, can these be fitted on a let's say scalar ring like a C120 one (via some sort of modding that is)?

I've seen your photos, as well as pride21's. Can you get RTP Africa on Intelsat 907 (27.5W) or TV Moçambique Intelsat 906 (64.2E)?

I might go and start a thread on the Fibo's section on C-band reception on a fibo ;)

R

Rd100

First off the link you posted was to a ku-band prime focus feedhorn not a c-band feedhorn,

The c-band lnb i brought well i brought a few of that same dealer now only cost me less than £20 delivered and i did not pay any tax on it,

I am not sure if c-band would work on your fibo as i a sure you could not fit the scalar ring on the lnb as the dish arm would be in the way, You would be better of using a 1.2 offset fortec star as you can get a 65mm lnb holder for it see here _http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/LNBHolder3.htm or a 1.5m gibby

Also the 1.8m prime focus fortec star is very good for c-band i used one in the past and it was good and you can use the scalar ring that comes with the lnb as it is a prime focus dish,

If you do want to use a offset dish conical scalar rings are hard to get hold of but this company sells them _http://www.satshop24.de/satshop24_s/c_band_offset_trichterfeedhorn.html you can use the prime focus scalar ring on a offset but you will lose a few db with out a conical offset scalar ring

Also see these links below as there is not much info on c-band on this forum,

c-band on a 1.2m dish _http://forum.dxtv.de/wbb/thread.php?threadid=1072

C-band on a 1.8m dish _http://forum.dxtv.de/wbb/thread.php?threadid=12556

c-band _http://forum.dxtv.de/wbb/board.php?boardid=43

c band lnbs _http://h**p://www.satshop24.de/satshop24_s/lnb_und_zubehoer_spezial_lnb_fuer_das_c_.html

kamaleon said:
Hi Rd100,

yeah right, you know what, I'd done a search on ebay for C-band lnbs and that particular one you mention obviously showed up. Funny thing, i thought it'd be crap as it's really cheap! I wonder if I can order it from the U.S. without paying tax (I'm in France). Do you think they're really good? Better than inverto?

Thanks for your tips, I'm starting to see it more clear know. So basically I need an offset scalar ring. How can I recognize one? Are these sold as is?
So basically are all C band lnbs 60mm, is this a standard as much as 40mm is pretty much the average diameter for Ku band ones?

What about the block type ones, can these be fitted on a let's say scalar ring like a C120 one (via some sort of modding that is)?

I've seen your photos, as well as pride21's. Can you get RTP Africa on Intelsat 907 (27.5W) or TV Moçambique Intelsat 906 (64.2E)?

I might go and start a thread on the Fibo's section on C-band reception on a fibo ;)

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheers for those precious tips m8.

So a C-band scalar ring for an offset dish has to be elliptical rather than round?
is this one conical (elliptical)?:
C-Band%20LNC.jpg

also, on the link you provided I see the C band lnbs often used off centered from the main focal point of the dish, what's up with that? Is it for dual satellite reception pretty much like a hotbird+astra monoblock?

_http://www.satshop24.de/satshop24_s/c_band_und_ku_band_dual_nachruestsatz_fu.html

another question: could you kindly explain the difference between R/L and V/H? is there both things in C-band?

R

Rd100

All c-band scalar rings are round but the one you posted a photo of is for a prime focus dish so who evers that lnb in the photo the will loose a few db unless they change the scalar ring for a conical one like this _http://www.satshop24.de/satshop24_s/c_band_offset_trichterfeedhorn.html

V&H is horizontal and vertical R & L are right and left hand circular you just slot the dielectric plate in to the lnb for r & l satellites

kamaleon said:
Cheers for those precious tips m8.

So a C-band scalar ring for an offset dish has to be elliptical rather than round?
is this one conical (elliptical)?:
C-Band%20LNC.jpg

also, on the link you provided I see the C band lnbs often used off centered from the main focal point of the dish, what's up with that? Is it for dual satellite reception pretty much like a hotbird+astra monoblock?

_http://www.satshop24.de/satshop24_s/c_band_und_ku_band_dual_nachruestsatz_fu.html

another question: could you kindly explain the difference between R/L and V/H? is there both things in C-band?

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
:eek: 59€ for a crappy piece of plastic!!! 'O'-red

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
hello,how good is the panaorma 13 kelvin lnb,much better then a 17 kelvin?
i have not tested yet!

divibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
kamaleon said:
Hi Topper,

thanks for your reply.

Actually, I didn't really mean that. What I meant was if it was possible to mount a C-band lnb on a fibo dish, as these use a specific feedhorn. I recall on some thread the now-banned user Likvid mentioned C band reception on a fibo. I'll go and do a little forum search now ;)

Why and when was Likvid banned? What for?

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
a year ago I would say, I don't know the reasons though...

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sure it is :)

care to detail the channels you get and the lnb / feedhorn you use?

cheers (brigadão) ;)

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
kamaleon said:
sure it is :)

care to detail the channels you get and the lnb / feedhorn you use?

cheers (brigadão) ;)

Just checking 26e.................... all the digital channels according to Lyng/flysat .... can't test the analogue C Band at the moment ..... BT15 4093 H 4340 = 55% Dubai TV on 4040H 27500 (3/4 I think) = 50% (break up on the TMS1000 is 39% or less usually so those are well above breakup and C Band has less rain fade v ku) too many digital channels to list ... about 40 I think on 26e ... some at 50% , 45% 40% and some at sub 40%

LNBf = Nauxis C band (£5.50- ebay.. similar one = 180251047294 on same site ActionAce007 (ebay shop)

needs a picture to show the way it's nailed on with a 3" U bold (like the above photos without any external scalar ring) ... not the same focal point as the Ku LNBfs or C120 Feed horn ... longer by 50mm to the face anyway and favours lower down and skew goes the other way?? hmm ... We took the face plate off too .. (looks like a one scalar ring thing) just to position it and it jumped from 30%s to 55%.

Any help?

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hmm, your last message is a bit confusing actually.

Anyway, so basically you say you get most C band channels from 26°E, cool. What about other satellites?

I find nothing whatsoever related to "nauxis" with either a google or ebay search...

If you can indeed make a picture of the lnb and your dish that'd be great. I didn't understand anything you mentioned about the feed horn / scalar rings though.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
kamaleon said:
Hmm, your last message is a bit confusing actually.

Anyway, so basically you say you get most C band channels from 26°E, cool. What about other satellites?

I find nothing whatsoever related to "nauxis" with either a google or ebay search...

If you can indeed make a picture of the lnb and your dish that'd be great. I didn't understand anything you mentioned about the feed horn / scalar rings though.

I gave you a link buts it's been removed .. policy I guess. Search C Band LNB & Google & Pauxis (not Nauxis!!) ... (I'm not sure if that shop (ActionAce) has them on at the moment)

Its on a fixed dish and can't easly move it just now (work load too)- if you look on Flysat for the footprint link- 26e C Band looks good for the UK anyway.

Anyway... it at least shows you can get C Band on a 1m offset... and usable signal strenghs.

I wonder if I can glad it on the side of a Ku LNBf on a motor'd dish as an offset?

Attachments

• PICT0166 C Band LNB NAUXIS 17k.jpg
    PICT0166 C Band LNB NAUXIS 17k.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 493

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I removed the link, firstly as it was live and secondly didn't point to an LNB, just someone's ebay shop, which didn't have any LNBs on the page.

At the moment, just type ebay and then the item number.