C-MAC on Scandinavian channels in the late 80s?

Kveys

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
125 Gibertini, Stab-120 (30W-86.5E), TM-F3/5/TM-5302HD+230Pf (C-band 40.5W-87.5E)
My Location
Southern Finland
Oooooh, is that yours?!

Yep, "brand new":lol:

You should ask one from Huoltovalikko member @cad60. Not 100% sure he have these still, but you should ask..? Very friendly and nice lad and owns lots of things we all would like own:) Say wishes from me!

This time (late 80´s/early 90´s ) I used "huge":-rofl2 120cm pf at first.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Might be a while for a reply!

cad60 was last seen: Feb 3, 2012
:D

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
When we get a nice weekend afternoon Im going to try and get a stable picture from the 28E UK spots on a metal pan lid :D
Yep I did that last year. Managed over 10dB :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I never liked Videocrypt, on all the receivers (and separate decoders) I used over the years the encrypted Sky channels always used to have faint horizontal lines on the picture as if the brightness or contrast wasn't decoded quite right. Other encryptions where fine.
Ah, yes, I remember that. Though, it does depend on the quality of the decoder. Those stand alone Thompson ones were the worst and I always though that the faint lines were simply "bled" through from the source on the decoder port of the receiver (Amstrad 650 in my case).

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Yep, "brand new":lol:

You should ask one from Huoltovalikko member @cad60. Not 100% sure he have these still, but you should ask..? Very friendly and nice lad and owns lots of things we all would like own:) Say wishes from me!

This time (late 80´s/early 90´s ) I used "huge":-rofl2 120cm pf at first.
I first saw one in July 1992 when driving through Sweden back the UK. I only saw it briefly stuck on the wall of a typical Swedish/Finnish type red wooden farm house as we sped past it but the image of that dish was burnt into my mind and I wanted one so bad.

Every now and then I've looked on Google for pictures of those dishes and not found much, then today two pictures in one thread come in a matter of hours...

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Ah, yes, I remember that. Though, it does depend on the quality of the decoder. Those stand alone Thompson ones were the worst and I always though that the faint lines were simply "bled" through from the source on the decoder port of the receiver (Amstrad 650 in my case).
Hmm could well be, whatever it was it was annoying but back then I just accepted it. Another annoying "feature" of Videocrypt was on some TVs I'd see a band running down one side of the picture.
Found an example, it's on an encrypt image but it was sometimes visible on the decoded image too!
maxresdefault.jpg

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yep, that was visible on our TV too - very annoying! I think it was part of the spec, so it could carry some unencrypted data(?)

Pride Of Cucamonga

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cheap piece of junk Spanish (Tecatel) 120cm(x110) dish, Inverto Ultra twin LNB and Sky HD box.
My Location
Valencia (city)
I never liked Videocrypt, on all the receivers (and separate decoders) I used over the years the encrypted Sky channels always used to have faint horizontal lines on the picture as if the brightness or contrast wasn't decoded quite right. Other encryptions where fine.

I remember the colour on analogue satellite looking quite washed out - but think more to do with use of PAL (which I've read wasn't as suited to satellite as it was for terrestrial)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I definitely preferred MAC over PAL any day - encrypted or not.

Jamie A

Reaction score
Never heard of C-MAC either, but I do remember B-MAC and D/D2-MAC well. Still have my old D2-MAC decoder in my collection of obsolete black boxes!

The B-MAC SIS feed was on IS-601 at 27.5W.

Does anyone remember the encryption that RAI used to apply during football matches on its analogue channels on Hotbird? The video would be slightly fuzzy, but you could still make out what was happening...

parkiepie420

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate tm-5402hd m3 /gibertini 1.25m sat dish 51e to 34w inverto black ultra single 0.2db lnb / titanium single output cband lnb
technomate tm-5402hd m3/triax 1.1m dish 53e to 24w inverto black ultra single 0.2 lnb
My Location
sheffield south yorkshire uk
I remember an encryption called syster sounds like that ???

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Does anyone remember the encryption that RAI used to apply during football matches on its analogue channels on Hotbird? The video would be slightly fuzzy, but you could still make out what was happening...
I think it was call "Discrete" or something like that. Definitely could see the action but I was getting dizzy watching it! It was almost like cut and rotate system except it was a "light" version.

A bit like this: