C4 & C5 Reception

Carlos

Reaction score
Here in Lanzarote we recently lost C5 leaving only c4 of the "F2V" channels. The reason I was given is thet c5 has moved to the north satellite which apparently we cannot receive from here in Lanzarote without a large/larger dish than the 1.3 offset that seems to be pretty much the standard here for SKY.

Reading the C4 thread it would seem from other contributors that C4 is on the north satellite. If that is so why can I not get C5 if that has in fact moved to the north or am I missing something?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
There are in fact 2 north beams, one from Astra 2A and one from 2B.

The one from 2B is weaker than the 2A one (quite significantly) Channel 5 has moved to the 2B north beam where as Channel 4 is on 2A north and hence has a stronger signal.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
I also lost Channel 5 in the Algarve Portugal, Using 1.3m .6db MTI lnb on a Pace 2600C1. BBC/ITV/Ch4 all OK 95% of time can lose during cloud or rain.

Carlos

Reaction score
PoloMint said:
There are in fact 2 north beams, one from Astra 2A and one from 2B.

The one from 2B is weaker than the 2A one (quite significantly) Channel 5 has moved to the 2B north beam where as Channel 4 is on 2A north and hence has a stronger signal.
It has been suggested to me that here in the Canaries its easier (not easy but easier) to get 2D (BBC & ITV) than C5 (from 2B north) due to the latter's very weak signal and the fact that its a vertical signal.

If this is so does it mean that all vertical signals will be difficult to get and if so is there a way round the problem? I sort of remember reading something about separating the V & H signals by using extra LNB's (or something like that anyway).

I guess the important thing is to build in flexibility so as to cope better with future changes in transmissions. Any views?

mildo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have friends who recently moved to the western Algarve from England and they have what I think is a 1.3m dish coupled to a Sky digibox and the minimum Sky subscription package. A local installer set up the Sky access, but they are missing some channels, including Channel 5 and UKTV Gold +1. After some research on the net I talked him through the adding extra channels routine, using frequency 12.304 with polarity H. On my setup in the UK this brings up a list of channels including Channel 5 and UKTV Gold +1, but on my friend's setup in the Algarve he justs gets a 'no signal' message.

Does anybody have an answer to this problem? Is a bigger dish required, or is he simply out of range for the Channel 5 frequency?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mildo.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
I had a 1.2 m prime focus dish on the Costa del Sol and I lost CH5. A change to 1.3m offset dish brought it back.

mildo

Reaction score
Thanks devonbrown, I'll get my friend to measure his dish and check just what size it is.

zansi

Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
mildo said:
Does anybody have an answer to this problem? Is a bigger dish required, or is he simply out of range for the Channel 5 frequency?

Channel 5 is "difficult" on the Algarve as on 2B North Beam, I have managed to restore my reception on my 1.3m dish by changing my lnb to a Invacom .3db and carefully alignment of the dish to optimise on this weak beam. My location is Albufeira. :)

anton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
zansi said:
Channel 5 is "difficult" on the Algarve as on 2B North Beam
Hello Zansi, so have you noticed also C4 being any more ''difficult'' than your usual? (you will know why I ask)

zansi

Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
anton said:
Hello Zansi, so have you noticed also C4 being any more ''difficult'' than your usual? (you will know why I ask)

Anton, Channel 4 seems fine unless heavy cloud or rain. Presume you are still having problems?

anton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
zansi said:
Anton, Channel 4 seems fine unless heavy cloud or rain. Presume you are still having problems?

No, I am actually fine at the moment, with my original but carefully realigned
dish. The signal quality bar though never shows as much as it used to in the good old days- but so far it has been enough to keep it in in all weather.