Cable lengths and number of connections

RMDrive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-1000
My Location
Ireland
Hi,

Today I hooked up a second receiver for the first time. The location is at the other end of the house to the dish and the cables were supposedly left ready to use by the installer :confused
The signal strength is showing as poor so I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to improve it.

The actual run should be around 35-40m however there's a large amount of excess cable included (I'd guess around 10m extra), as well as three F-F extensions.

So I'm wondering how much benefit I would get by removing the excess cable? Unfortunately I can't get rid of the F-Connections as a section passes through a flat roofed bit in the house and I cannot get a new cable in there O-no. But how much loss is there through a connection like that? Could it be equated to a length of cable?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for the help :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Moved your post to a new thread.

A cable run of 50mts is ok but close to the maximum you'd want to run. Three joins won't help much either. The advice I would give is to cut away any excess cable and re-make any connections you can get to, then try. Assume dish alignment is ok.

RMDrive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-1000
My Location
Ireland
satelliteman said:
Moved your post to a new thread.

A cable run of 50mts is ok but close to the maximum you'd want to run. Three joins won't help much either. The advice I would give is to cut away any excess cable and re-make any connections you can get to, then try. Assume dish alignment is ok.

Thanks Satelliteman. The dish alignment is ok as I'm receiving everything fine on another receiver. I'll trim the run back as much as possible and see if things improve.