I have about 25 mtrs of RG6 feeding my pc sat card, is it worth replacing with
CT100 to get a better signal or not.
Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There appear to be different versions of RG6, but if it is one of the double screened versions, you would possibly gain a couple of DB from a swap, but not much more.

lascott

Reaction score
rolfw said:
There appear to be different versions of RG6, but if it is one of the double screened versions, you would possibly gain a couple of DB from a swap, but not much more.

Thanks for the info rolfw, this rg6 is cheap stuff with the silver plastic aluminium
coated foil as a second screen. there is no makers name, but the info on the
roll is"RG6U Satellite cable 75 ohm UHF 0.78mm2
Regards

H

Happy-Buddah

Either I'm dead lucky or there is a load of "old crap" stated about cables.
I have 30m of the "B&Q" sat cable, 2 co-ax switches, 2 back to back "F type" connectors, feeding into a Technomate TM-5000DA receiver from a 1m dish a 0.3dB Golden Interstar lnb and a Moteck SG-2100 motor. I tried a 4m length of CT100 (copper foil) straight from the lnb to the receiver (on top of my conservatory next to the dish & motor), not a blind bit of difference in strength or quality levels across the satellites that I can receive.

Coincidence, luck or what?
H-B

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
At the higher frequencies, you could lose 10db over 30 metres of Coax perhaps only four or five at lower frequencies, I wouldn't rely on the readings from a satellite receiver though.

H

Happy-Buddah

Nice sunny day, up to the attic and dust off the old SA rectum paralizer and have a play, that's if the bottles have not died.

H-B

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
At least once it's warmed up it'll defrost your hands :D

Llew

H

Happy-Buddah

Well the Scientific American rectum paralizer is well and truelly paralized (dead). Cannot get any bottles for it, mind you it was second hand in 1971 when i bought it.

I must bow to Rolfw's statement though. Looking at a weak satellite today, Nilesat I have noticed a slight difference in levels between the 10m feeder and 30m feeder. It's logical I suppose, the longer the feeder the higher the loss.
H-B