Calling Sweden..STRONG SRT8700 review?

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
HELP...I need a honest review in English for the above receiver...

I have contacted Viasat, and I have a list of 'Viasat approved' receivers, to receive Viasat after they change over to Videoguard. I asked which one they would recommend, and it is a Strong SRT8700. This has built in card readers for both Viaccess and Conax Encrypted services...Viasat and Canal +. It looks like a better improvement on my Nokia 9802, and sounds fast. But does not have RGB or a digital output. I was wondering if you know if this receiver is any good? I was hoping the Samsung DSR 9500 was approved for Videoguard, but unfortunately it will not be.
Also Viasat told me that those approved receivers which need a module to receive Canal +, may not work very well in the near future. (I mean Canal + may not work even with a module!). This is going to be a big problem for a lot of subscribers in the Nordic countries.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Maybe all this will push a VG cam on to the market. In my view it must happen, old Rupe can't hide forever.

MatthiasPeter

Reaction score
Hi
I just bought a SRT8700 - I have not yet received the new smart card for Viasat - but the new soft for Viudeoguard is installed and both Canal Digital and the limited package with Viasat works well. However, combined with the CA slot on the rear there are problems .. I use there a Viaccess CAM with Swiss Broadcasting and this causes a lot of unstability.
Please note also that there is no possibility to define PID values , no possibility to edit channel lists (other than Favorite lists) and the MMI on the remote control is rathewr unusual. When you search for new channels you have no control over on which channel position the new channels will "land" ..
The whole receiver seems to be "beta" ... a lot of SW improvements are necessery. The worst: where in h..... is Strong represented on the web with support for the 8700? No documentation found about receiver programming through the RS232 .... I am very disappointed !!!! Arent we in 2004 ?

Regards, Matthias

Rabbit said:
HELP...I need a honest review in English for the above receiver...

I have contacted Viasat, and I have a list of 'Viasat approved' receivers, to receive Viasat after they change over to Videoguard. I asked which one they would recommend, and it is a Strong SRT8700. This has built in card readers for both Viaccess and Conax Encrypted services...Viasat and Canal +. It looks like a better improvement on my Nokia 9802, and sounds fast. But does not have RGB or a digital output. I was wondering if you know if this receiver is any good? I was hoping the Samsung DSR 9500 was approved for Videoguard, but unfortunately it will not be.
Also Viasat told me that those approved receivers which need a module to receive Canal +, may not work very well in the near future. (I mean Canal + may not work even with a module!). This is going to be a big problem for a lot of subscribers in the Nordic countries.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
We had email reports last week that Strong is relocating from the UK to Austria with immediate effect, but no forwarding address / numbers.

I would advise speaking to your local dealer about the future upgrades and if you cant get a reply that can be written down, be suspicious

Videoguard in Scandinavia is going to be different to the one in the UK so the Cams are unlikely to have multi country operation