Cam firmware updates (question related to pc card though)

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar 1 + Motorised dish.
My Location
malta
Is it possible to update the firmware of a particular CAM which is attached to a pc card, withouth having to buy an programmer, or any other hardware?
If so, what software should I use?
Thanks.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Don't know if your CAM firmware is flashable (assume you mean your SS1).

What do you want to upgrade it for?

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
malta
BGonaSTICK said:
Don't know if your CAM firmware is flashable (assume you mean your SS1).

What do you want to upgrade it for?

I bought a dragon cam, and I heard that you can update its firmware,with a programmer, but I though, that because the cam is inserted into the card,which is inside the computer I can bypas the programmer part, and directly update the cam from whitin the pc card, or using some kind of software in my computer.
Btw STICK I am still waiting for DHL to deliver the card. :(

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
OK, I think you're getting a little bit confused. Let me try and explain.

Let's start off with the Skystar 2. It has no CAM slot into which to plug a CAM (either an official CAM or a MultiCAM like the Dragon).

BUT with the Skystar 2, you can EMULATE the CAM slot, the CAM, the CAM firmware and the smartcard all in a little piece of software called an emulator. Several exist.

The two main advantages of the old Skystar 1 over the Skystar 2 were that it :-

1) Had onboard hardware decoding (meaning that it ran on slower PCs with fewer problems and produced great quality video through its own video-out port). We know that the latest Skystar 1 card doesn't have this.

2) Had a CAM slot so that you could plug in an official CAM and insert a valid, official SMART card to view pay TV legally.

The latest Skystar 1 card still has the slot. The slot doesn't have any firmware to speak of. The firmware resides in the CAM, which plugs into the slot.

If you don't want official pay TV, and you want to decode the TV signals without subscribing, then the CAM slot can be used to plug in a Dragon or similar. That should work like any other receiver with a 'CI' or 'CAM' slot.

The Skystar 1 card can ALSO run an emulator, as per the Skystar 2 card above.

AFAIK it runs pretty much the same emulators as the Skystar 2, so buying a Dragon seems to me a waste of money (you're duplicating everything - unless I'm missing something of course...) :)

STICK

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
malta
BGonaSTICK said:
OK, I think you're getting a little bit confused. Let me try and explain.

Let's start off with the Skystar 2. It has no CAM slot into which to plug a CAM (either an official CAM or a MultiCAM like the Dragon).

BUT with the Skystar 2, you can EMULATE the CAM slot, the CAM, the CAM firmware and the smartcard all in a little piece of software called an emulator. Several exist.

The two main advantages of the old Skystar 1 over the Skystar 2 were that it :-

1) Had onboard hardware decoding (meaning that it ran on slower PCs with fewer problems and produced great quality video through its own video-out port). We know that the latest Skystar 1 card doesn't have this.

2) Had a CAM slot so that you could plug in an official CAM and insert a valid, official SMART card to view pay TV legally.

The latest Skystar 1 card still has the slot. The slot doesn't have any firmware to speak of. The firmware resides in the CAM, which plugs into the slot.

If you don't want official pay TV, and you want to decode the TV signals without subscribing, then the CAM slot can be used to plug in a Dragon or similar. That should work like any other receiver with a 'CI' or 'CAM' slot.

The Skystar 1 card can ALSO run an emulator, as per the Skystar 2 card above.

AFAIK it runs pretty much the same emulators as the Skystar 2, so buying a Dragon seems to me a waste of money (you're duplicating everything - unless I'm missing something of course...) :)

STICK

I know this stuff :).
But I bought the dragon in the first place,because I tend to prefer the hardware things, and also some time in the future I might decide to by a sat decoder (the one u attach to the tv), I would have already bought the cam :).

From reading this forums, I understood that using ProgDVB or myTheate and the s2emu plugin, I would arrive to some sort of CAM emulation. Am I correct?
And are there any other plugins that I need? Or can you explian a bit more (also for people who might read this forum in the future), how this CAM emulation etc etc work, and what software,plugins, step by step procedures have to be done. :)

When I meant to upgarding the Dragon CAM firmware I meant about these updates http://sat-key.org/files/index.php?PHPSESSID=5447409cb53f36daa320457ae552f29f&direction=0&order=mod&directory=Cams files/Dragon cam

Can it be done from whitin the skystar 1, withouth using a programmer?
(I hope I am permitted to post the above link here, but by including that link here I could explain myself more better)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You cannot update your Dragon CAM with the CAM slot on the Satellite PC card, you need a Dragon loader card and a phoenix programmer to program the loader card.

You'll find several threads regarding the S2Emu plugin and how to install it in earlier posts in this section.

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
malta
rolfw said:
You cannot update your Dragon CAM with the CAM slot on the Satellite PC card, you need a Dragon loader card and a phoenix programmer to program the loader card.

You'll find several threads regarding the S2Emu plugin and how to install it in earlier posts in this section.

rolfw or STICK just to clarify some stuff from me mind.
If I use myTheatre v3 and put s2emu and the other files(key.bin etc), in the plugins folder or in the root folder, then I am achieving all the necessary software cam emulation? or are there any other steps I am missing?

I know it might seem a stupid question for you, but I am still new in this field, less than a week.So please bear/bere with me.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That should just about do it.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
My experiences with the V3.xx versions of MyTheatre are extremely poor. Very unstable. Having said that, I know people who swear by them.

IIRC all files go into the root directory, EXCEPT the s2emu.dll file, which must go into the MDPlugins directory (not Plugins).

STICK