Can a CoolSat be used in the UK?

glm2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CoolSat Plus
My Location
USA
Hi,

I'm not exactly a new user as I've successfully installed a CoolSat Plus 4000 and a Pansat. I've also gone through at least 3 firmware upgrades for the coolsat the past year.

Now, I have a question.
My dad is based in Newcastle Upon Tyne and wants me to send him a CoolSat after he heard so much about it from me.
Before I do, I want to make sure it will actually work in the UK. I at first thought maybe a firmware change would suffice. However, I have not found a single post from googling that says CoolSats are the preferred choice in the UK like they are in the US.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look at This Site, it looks like it is sold under Maxplus in Europe.

The output will be NTSC on the US models, so better to find a European equivalent. What does your dad want to watch?

glm2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CoolSat Plus
My Location
USA
rolfw said:
Have a look at This Site, it looks like it is sold under Maxplus in Europe.

The output will be NTSC on the US models, so better to find a European equivalent. What does your dad want to watch?

Rolfw,

Looks like you're right on the dot. Hmmm, time to look for a PAL unit. Would it help if my Dad's telee can handle PAL/SECAM/NTSC?

I know the FTA sats here transmit in NTSC III, how about sats there?

He likes the usual, HBO, PPV, Sky for action movies, the occassional Boxing match or MMA. I think he's currently using Telewest. But add up the cost of the monthly telee fee and it's clear a receiver would come out cheaper.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
All, or at least the vast majority of European satellite broadcasts are DVB, so it doesn't matter whether you use a PAL or NTSC receiver, only the output to the TV differs.

You will not pick up much in the way of watchable movies FTA in English and even those available at the moment with flash upgrades, may not be available in the near future.

slugworth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
gsky v7
My Location
New England
glm2k said:
Hi,

I'm not exactly a new user as I've successfully installed a CoolSat Plus 4000 and a Pansat. I've also gone through at least 3 firmware upgrades for the coolsat the past year.

Now, I have a question.
My dad is based in Newcastle Upon Tyne and wants me to send him a CoolSat after he heard so much about it from me.
Before I do, I want to make sure it will actually work in the UK. I at first thought maybe a firmware change would suffice. However, I have not found a single post from googling that says CoolSats are the preferred choice in the UK like they are in the US.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
Try technomate 1000 D
The loader and channel editor/lists are the same as a coolsat.
Many fta receivers have the option to choose the tv output type.