Can anyone help a confused Newbie? skybox f3

Savahna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox f3 with ethernet connection to internet & s*y dish
My Location
Yorkshire,uk
Hi everyone

New to all this so am having a very blonde moment!!

Have a skybox f3 set up, picture is fine, however am having trouble trying to perform instant record

The message 'Limit CAN not record' keeps coming up on screen. I have tried using other methods of setting the timer also and no joy.

This has worked once or twice before, I am using an external hard drive that my tv guy said was ok for this job.

What the heck am i doing wrong? Any guidance much appreciated as i am tearing my hair out and don't have much left.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on finding the right sub-Forum first time!

Getting Hard Disc Drives and USB sticks to work is easy if they are compatible - but therein lies the problem.

There does not seem to be much in the way of hard evidence to predict what individual Drives will and will not work and the only way to find out is to try.

I gave up with HDD and now use a 16GB USB Stick, but that only holds around three hours of HD content (Which is fine for me as it's not my main Recording system)

On the other hand, others have had great success with HDD, so (as our US friends say) go figure.

I suspect that despite what you were told, the HDD is not compatible. But have you tried using the F3 to Format it (Should be in the PVR Settings Menu somewhere)?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Further:

It seems this Message means the F3 thinks the Hard Disc is full ................. another reason, perhaps, to Format it afresh.

If the F3 can't or won't Format it, connect it to a PC, find the Drive in "My Computer" (Assuming you run Windows as an operating system), right click on it and select Format. FAT or NTSC should do. Experiment.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Tivù said:
If the F3 can't or won't Format it, connect it to a PC, find the Drive in "My Computer" (Assuming you run Windows as an operating system), right click on it and select Format. FAT or NTSC should do. Experiment.
I'd be impressed with an NTSC format :) Try NTFS.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I knew that was wrong even as I typed it!

That's the trouble with being Satellite TV obsessed: Can't get Standards out of my head.

Savahna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox f3 with ethernet connection to internet & s*y dish
My Location
Yorkshire,uk
Thank you guys!!

Followed advice and now on track again, with recording.
I think i have found a new hobby, this is fascinating stuff. :-clap

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent - it certainly is an interesting hobby.

I assume you're using your F3 for UK stuff from 28E, but it's multi-Satellite capable so if you ever get a hankering to look elsewhere then we will be happy to help.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The downside of reformatting is you'll lose everything that's on the Drive, which is a pain if you want to keep any stuff: In that case, just Copy the relevant Files to your PC first, then Format the F3 Drive, then Copy back your essential Recordings.

You can keep the Drive tidy using the F3, though: In the Media Player Menu, find Video, highlight any unwanted Recording and press Yellow. It will Delete that file when you Exit.

I don't know whether your problem was a glitch or whether it really was a full Drive, but just thought I'd better give you all the Options.