Can anyone help with manhattan starlight 5900

steve-j

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I was lucky(?) enough to be given one of these recievers which, when powered up, says "boot" on the front panel. Nothing else appears to happen.

Is this a software related problem?

If so can I reload/upgrade the software myself?

If so where can I find it? (manhattan download site has been off-line for a while now)

If none of the above, has this happened to anyone else, and how did you cure it?

Any and all help greatfully recieved

Steve

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Welcome Steve, always good to see a new member. I believe I'm right in saying that your receiver has a built in magic cam (yes?). Don't know too much about the model except that a while back the cams were being 'upset' by ECMs but I don't know if that's been resolved. There is a web site which does have Manhatten software to download but it won't be OTA (over the air) it will be via a PC and the port on the receiver. If no one else can help you here then you could try that site. Just click here. Good luck.

steve-j

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome. - Actually back to multi-sat viewing after gap brought on by slow demise of analogue (had an mss500 then).

Yes, reciever has what I understand is a magic cam (manhattan call it a U-CAS module).

I am told that the problem is related to this Cam, or more acurately the version of software loaded into it. There are one or two references on some websites which hint that there may be a random reset flaw inherent in earlier versions. It's that or the ECMs. Anyone know for sure?

Meanwhile, I have been to the site suggested and downloaded the manhattan zip. I've got a null modem cable somewhere (although I vaguely remember cutting one end off for some strange reason)! If I can find it I'll report on progress ASAP, otherwise it's off to the shops on monday for a new one.

Can anyone else cast any further light or offer any alternative solutions?

Thanks for help so far.

Steve

steve-j

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My partial solution as promised:

Note: If you downloaded the STB Editor, use it with care! I have completely failed in all attempts to get it to complete an upload.

1. Download the reciever software.
While the UK site is down, it can be found on the manufacturers dutch site (with s/w for other manhattans) at:

http://www.manhattan-receivers.nl/instructions.html

Don't worry about the Dutch instructions all required info is in the downloaded zip file and is in English.

2. ** Carefully ** follow the instructions.

3. The reciever should now reboot and work normally. DO NOT SWITCH OFF THE RECIEVER!

This is where the partial bit comes in -

Automatic re-boots during programing and editing don't seem to cause any problems, but if the reciever goes into standby for any period of time everything has to be reloaded again.

So I now have a perfectly good reciever, as long as I don't put it in standby.

Hope this is of some help to someone.

Any help on the standby problem still greatfully recieved.

Steve

steve-j

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Quick revisit on this one:

If you've got the same problem - send it back!

I struggled for a month with this before the reciever finally died. If I'd sent it back in the first place, it would be back and working by now.

We live and learn (or not in my case)!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hope that all is OK when you get it back Steve, don't know anything about Manhattans, so couldn't offer any help, but it has been interesting to read about your attempts to solve the problem.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The importers have apparently released another version of firmware in the last week or so, claiming to resolve the original issues without resort to return, but a lot of people are reporting trouble with this as well.

The brand name has suffered a LOT as a result of the embedded CAM fiasco so that many dealers dropped this and later versions from their lists. One sponsor on another site could no longer deal with the number of returns and offered higher cost replacement receivers from Technomate I think

Were you refunded the postage/courier costs, as it has been confirmed to be a manufacturing defect ?

steve-j

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
From Manhattan's site:

URGENT NOTICE FOR STARLIGHT / SKYLINE USERS:

THIS SOFTWARE (V3.04) PREVENTS THE RECEIVER FROM GOING INTO CONTINUOUS BOOT STATUS (CBS)

HOWEVER RECEIVERS WHICH ARE ALREADY IN CBS CANNOT BE RECTIFIED USING THIS SOFTWARE UPGRADE ALONE.

IF YOUR MACHINE IS IN CBS, YOU CAN RETURN THE UNIT TO PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR REPAIR UNDER WARRANTY.

Sadly too late to help me (as detailed in this thread). We'll have to wait and see regarding the units still "out there".

As to costs incurred, I only posted the unit this morning (£6.91), and assume that it will return in due course postage paid.

In this instance, I'm not going to make a fuss about that small a sum when manhattan are repairing it under warranty - even though I told them that the reciever came into my posession because of the fault.

In fact, they've been very helpful under the circumstances, I certainly can't criticise their dealings with me. Flawed reciever design aside, I'd be happy to recommend them.

steve-j

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Last message from me in this thread before I start asking for help with cams + software in the other forums!

Yesterday morning I recieved a BRAND NEW reciever (new circuit board design - NOT the old one repaired), pleased to report it is fully working, with all latest software installed.

Absolutely delighted with Manhattan at this point.

me-68

Reaction score
Website
www.russiantv.boom.ru
My Satellite Setup
tm-1000d,samsung9500,openbox-x, 1m - Amos+Sirius+Hotbird, 85cm - Express Am22
My Location
uk
penni-priced reseiver