can anyone point me in the right direction

disco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
My Location
glasgow
i am looking to get a sat dreambox system ,i am confused about this hole thing ,at the moment i have sky hd ,could anyone recomend a system that would suit me best or even a installer in the glasgow area ,kind regards thersea

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
It depends on what you want to receive. If you give a few more details of what you want to do then the guys on here that are the experts at testing and evaluating equipment will give you some honest answers.

For example you say you are looking at getting a dreambox. My advice is, be very wary of the cheap ones as there are a lot of clones out there. If you read through this site you will find that people who have downloaded the latest software for the genuine dreamboxes have been finding that it has a "time bomb" built in that is killing cloned units.

Please give a little more info on what you are trying to do, for example are you interested in getting more than just Astra 28.2? Are you thinking of a steerable system or multi fixed dish, etc etc. Let the guys know and I am sure you will get all the help and advice you need.

disco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
My Location
glasgow
thankyou for getting back to me ,i was looking for as many channels as poss , i have three kids and my two boys are football mad , is it poss to get any american tv , how would you be sure not to get a cloned dreambox ,again thanks for your help

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have you budgeted for subscriptions????

A dreambox is not a magic box that gives you all channels at once. You still need access to a subscription to open most channels!

To be honest with you a dreambox is not an ideal receiver for beginners to the hobby - forget any ideas of taking it out of the box and getting the best from it - you are looking at hours and hours of playing with it, crashing it, reloading the software etc before you even begin to decipher how it works under the bonnet.

Anmd no you cant get American tv - their broadcast satellites are below out western horizon!

disco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
My Location
glasgow
yes i heard something about card sharing if that is correct ,would i get more channels ,and how much would a subscription cost ,there are just that many systems out there i dont no what would be best for me ,thanks for your response theresa

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can learn all about card sharing by spending a couple of hours reading right here on the forum. Dont expect anyone to hold your hand with how to do its - it doesnt happen like that here.

Asking for (or offering) card shares in any way shape or form is strictly forbidden here so please dont make that mistake. DONT be seduced into joining a commercial card share - the service is often poor and you dont have the faintest idea who is behind them - it could eaily be the Russian mafia for all you know. If a commercial service gets busted and you get dragged into the mess you wont get any sympathy from us - most of the old hands think the commercial services are run by the spawn of the devil:D

Subscription to the big packages cost anything up to 1500 quid a year from uk resellers - most of our forum advertisers sell cards so have a wander around their websites.

disco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
My Location
glasgow
again thanks i will have a look and see ,kind regards theresa