Can I build a 'killer' dish for 'out-of-footprint' everything?

divibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
Theoritically, hypothetically is it possible to build the most elliptical ( i.e much wider than taller ) in shape dish, like mobile military radar dish shape (but it's different to sat. tech) of a gigantic diameter, like 30 m? But because of its width it'd only tower, like 8 m over the ground. The shape of the dish would be mathematically calculated and very precisely built. Then come the best LNB, cables and most sensitive receiver. And if you build like a barn around it (to house the beast:)) that lets the microwaves pass through its wall you could still use it in strong winds.

Now, of course, the shape would not be perfect, so maybe it would only perform, like the ideal 20 m dish :)

Would you settle for a 20 m dish? :)

I'm serious. What do you think?

R

Rd100

:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2
divibi said:
Theoritically, hypothetically is it possible to build the most elliptical ( i.e much wider than taller ) in shape dish, like mobile military radar dish shape (but it's different to sat. tech) of a gigantic diameter, like 30 m? But because of its width it'd only tower, like 8 m over the ground. The shape of the dish would be mathematically calculated and very precisely built. Then come the best LNB, cables and most sensitive receiver. And if you build like a barn around it (to house the beast:)) that lets the microwaves pass through its wall you could still use it in strong winds.

Now, of course, the shape would not be perfect, so maybe it would only perform, like the ideal 20 m dish :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
divibi said:

Good luck... :D

:toke:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Don't mock him/her, it's not called VSAT for nothing.

The only problems you may get is
1) Getting elevation correct for the satellites you want to receive from
2) matching the polarity of the received signal
3) Making a truly matched pin to get the best signal from your antenna, and
4) transparency of the outer 'barn' to allow signals to pass into the feed system,

oh and

4) rejecting unwanted noise from ground based sources.

Otherwise, it is quite feasible

fawad

Reaction score
only one expert answer, ,,
YOU have to sea some RESEARCH ORG, who have publish there results & other detail for elliptical type before practical start.
any way very good idea, god luck

divibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
Channel Hopper said:
4) rejecting unwanted noise from ground based sources.

If I build that elliptical antenna to be really extremely "DEEP", then that,for one, would help with ground noise.

I have recently seen a picture of a deutsche telekom mobile broadcast elliptical (very elliptical) antenna on a van. It was for ku-band.

Hey guys help me out with this; is it true that I could cut out an offset dish shape out of a parabolic dish? And also I could cut out an elliptical dish shape out of a parabolic dish??? If so then I could build a mould for a PFA dish and within it I'd have a mould for an elliptical antenna as well, right?

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Prodelin has such dish, if I reckon correctly - toroidal one, 7x24m sized. Costs healthy $100000.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
divibi said:
is it true that I could cut out an offset dish shape out of a parabolic dish? And also I could cut out an elliptical dish shape out of a parabolic dish??? If so then I could build a mould for a PFA dish and within it I'd have a mould for an elliptical antenna as well, right?

I'm pretty sure that this is the case yes. With an ordinary 'round' shaped dish, a circular (ish) shape would be cut out of the parabola, for an eliptical dish,an elliptical shape.

Ha, ha, this has just given me an idea, how to make a bigger dish out of two smaller identical offset dishes.LOL, maybe not!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BombedOne said:
Prodelin has such dish, if I reckon correctly - toroidal one, 7x24m sized. Costs healthy $100000.

Even so, if it is Prodelin (which I doubt), it would still not pick up everything.

You need to look at the frequencies you wish to receive, the transmission parameters, (type of data, video, symbol rate / FEC ) background noise levels on a ground based system, elevation limitations of the satellites to be received, etc etc.

And even then you would not get everything.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!:)
how much money,you want to spend in this self made project?
10 year ago iron and steel prices where much cheper then today now!
the bigest problem,whould be not to get the matarials,for biulding,getting the casting box,would be the much dificulter!

yes german telecom has a lot of big dishes,that no one picks up,because of expensice transport,then the destroy it!

also here in europe,i mising reports.what is realy posible to receive,with a 10 meter dish,
maybe 7 meter is also enough,or maybe we got more with 15 meter,we dont know,what will be the difrents!
in old dr dish show the dr says,most people here in europe are the lazy to find this out,in other countrys it is difrent,there are more reports on the net,what you can get with real monster dishes,but strangly,also the companys,including andrew,that sold many dishes,could net tell there customors,what is posible to receive,here in europe,depends on the dish size and what not!

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Hehe, it's very clear why they don't tell you what you can get where with big dish. In most cases satellite footprints are limited due to copyright issues of certain packages. So say, you want to receive Premiere package in zone, officially not meant to be received. This means, your subscription will be illegal and crime. If prodelin or some other big dish manufacturer helps you with info how to receive certain satellite outside official footprint, he also becomes involved in crime, and may recieve severe penalties from authorities. Do they need this? - of course no.

charly20

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox
My Location
Belgium
So, when you rob a bank with a BMW, can the bank sue BMW as the car was part of the crime???

Strange logic!

737tx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 1000
TM 5200D
TM7755 2VA 3CI
Various dishes (fixed and motor)
Various CAM's and programmers
My Location
Earth
I'm sure that the dish you have in mind can be built. However the only problem you would have is the satellite footprints. If youre out side of their range there is very little that you can do about it.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
737tx said:
I'm sure that the dish you have in mind can be built. However the only problem you would have is the satellite footprints. If youre out side of their range there is very little that you can do about it.

Not true.:)

In the UK we are outside the Footprint for Nilesat 7W for example but can receive it. Also there is Klaus Schumacher in Brazil receiving Astra 1 on an 8m dish that he built himself.

The major obstacle however is the earth, if the satellite is below the horizon, there is nothing you can do.

BombedOne said:
This means, your subscription will be illegal and crime.

I'm not a legal expert, but I would suspect that the problem would be related to breaking your contract with the provider, hence a civil matter, not a criminal one.