Can i get Sky TV in Belgium?

taelon65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not got one yet
Hi
Total n00b here on Sats.
Here is my question.
I`m due to move to Belgium, mid June for 12 month(but could be 5 year contract)
I wil be in Northern part of Brussels.
Now what i would like is to watch British telly BBC, ITV, & Sky (various Sky1,tcm,mtv etc)
How do i do it?
Do i buy Sky digital here and get someone to set it up in Brussells?
I`m thinking that most Sat places over in Belgium dont offer a UK tv package?

Any help on this matter would be great
Regards,
Taelon65

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
taelon65 said:
Do i buy Sky digital here and get someone to set it up in Brussells?

This would be the cheaper option.

Get it set up here - move and just get a dish installed.

I take it you've checked you can instal a dish at your new home?

taelon65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not got one yet
Thanks for replying gameboy
Yup no sweat for the installation, but i wasnt sure which would be the best way.
Thanks again.:)

taelon65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not got one yet
Got this site from another forum.
It is exactly what i was looking for.
I`m not to sure bout posting links, so i have removed the "tt" just remeber it you copy & pate.

h**p://www.satelliteonline.co.uk/sky_abroad.htm
More than likely they are known here but if not they are worth a look.
Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There is nothing on that commercial site information wise which isn't available here and on a host of other forums, if you are presently in the UK and only want the free to view channels, the non-subscription ones, then phone up the Sky Freesat line and order a card, buy yourself a receiver off of eBay (very cheap at the moment and a dish locally in Belgium, problem solved.

If you want to subscribe, then get your digibox, order a card from Sky and get it activated at your current address, even if it needs a temporary dish installation, then take it with you and all you need to do is install the dish.

You will always pay way over the odds if you use a company to buy your out of area Sky subscription or even free to view card, you do not need to involve a third party other than for information purposes.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Just also would like to add that BBC 1 and BBC 2 are already availible on the local local cable network along with BBC world and several of the Dutch( English speaking channels).

I have been using my SKY for more than 5 years in Belgium with out any problems Location is close to Hasselt Belgium.

Dont forget to find time for all of the excellent food and Beer ! espically in the summer months!

Regards

Old satellite

taelon65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not got one yet
Thanks for the infor Old Satellite.
Trus me i`m not one to miss a meal.......(EVER):-Jumbo
LOL

Grande_Assiette

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Uk and Cyprus -sometimes
Hi Rolfw,

I am sorry to disagree, especially as you are trying to be helpful , but I believe this information:

"If you want to subscribe, then get your digibox, order a card from Sky and get it activated at your current address, even if it needs a temporary dish installation, then take it with you and all you need to do is install the dish."

is TOTALLY wrong ! :)

What will happen if " taelon65 " takes your advice re obtaining a subscription card, re-installs in Belgium, and the UK address starts getting warning letters from SKY reminding him that "part of your terms and conditions of your contract.... telephone line must be connected at all times .. failure to comply .. will result in termination of contract.. etc.?)

Surely the Digibox and the installation will be a subsided unit and SKY will insist that it is plugged into a UK phone line for a year?

There are company's that don't charge a fortune for SKY cards abroad and one can still pay SKY DIRECT...

Of course I'm biased as I'm one of those companies, but this posting is because your posting, in it's present form, could land " taelon65 " in difficulties and he could end up paying SKY for a year's contract / full installation at the full price .. not cheap..

Now wouldn't it be better to pay a one off fee, and be able to pay SKY direct from a UK Direct debit or any Visa / M/card, without having to worry about:

1/ ringing SKY
2/ Stroppy letters from SKY to relatives / friends addresses
3/ Risking these folk with possible bad credit listings.

Also, when it comes to Free To View cards, they have to be "turned on", and when the card "runs out" SKY will attempt to contact " taelon65 " at a UK address, to arrange payment / or a replkacement card "for security reasons " which may no longer be suitable for " taelon65 " or his relatives / friends.

Again, isn't worth paying a little more for less hassle, as most people just want to watch TV and not have to clock up a long time on hold, worrying if they have their "story" right for SKY !!

GA

rolfw said:
There is nothing on that commercial site information wise which isn't available here and on a host of other forums, if you are presently in the UK and only want the free to view channels, the non-subscription ones, then phone up the Sky Freesat line and order a card, buy yourself a receiver off of eBay (very cheap at the moment and a dish locally in Belgium, problem solved.

You will always pay way over the odds if you use a company to buy your out of area Sky subscription or even free to view card, you do not need to involve a third party other than for information purposes.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
taelon65 said:
I`m thinking that most Sat places over in Belgium dont offer a UK tv package?
you are thinking correctly. you can't get a SKY package locally here in Belgium, only by referring to a company registered in England, so order everything before you move to Belgium.
As old satellite said, you will get ONE, TWO and WORLD by cable, and also TCM, NGC, CNBC and CNN if you have cable. You can add 3 CANAL+ film channels and the Hallmark channel if you subscribe to them. Also, all of the dutch channels (TV1, Canvas, VTM, Kanaal2, VT4, Vijf, Vitaya, Ned1, Ned2, Ned3) show their movies/series with its original soundtrack (subtitled).
If you want to see any of the ITV's, C4, Five or Sky One, you're gonna need a sky digibox and satellite dish. You're moving north of Brussels - beware that there may be local regulations regarding the placement of satellite dishes !