If so, whats the best paint to use?

Spay or brush?

Any colours to avoid?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes you can paint it, I have used a Cellulose spray, made up for me by the local paint wholesaler and it works well. I aked him about the lead content and was informed that it was so small as to make little difference (which was correct), but this is less important on a metal dish anyway.

Colour wise, avoid metalic finishes and brilliant white gloss, try and use a matt finish.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As long as it isn't gloss or lead based, you should be OK, but it probably won't be ideal. Matt is always best.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
rolfw said:
As long as it isn't gloss or lead based, you should be OK, but it probably won't be ideal. Matt is always best.

I have used a paint similar to Hammerite, in matt black which was OK

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
What colour would be best? I waas wondering if a terracotta type shade would be good at 'blending in' the dish into the brickwork.

(My dish is mounted on the front wall below the roofline

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East Midlands
NB I have a white Triax 88 which I think would look better in black or 'brick' colour. All the neighbours have those 45cm mini-dishes so mine is going to really stick out.

BTW.... pole up, motor up just waiting to get the dish on now! So what colour do you guys think I should paint it, if at all.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Best of luck with the dish Martin, and welcome to the world of motorised viewing. I would leave the dish as is, let all the neighbours see it. When they ask what it can do, bring them round and show them 20 seconds of Kiosk 9 then tell them all to go home.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
martinw01908 said:
NBSo what colour do you guys think I should paint it, if at all.

Post a picture of the wall its on and we can probably give advice

Sometimes a really garish colour scheme and floodlighting can work wonders :D

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East Midlands
Ok you guys may well laugh at me now.... I have painted it black - BUT used Hammerite high temperature resistant matt paint. Thought it would look smaller to the neigbours that way.

The only problem is that I'm not sure how waterproof it is as it is not really exterior paint. (I find out later after my eagerness to put it up wore off) Now I don't know if to put it up and risk it or try to scrub it all off and find some better paint!!!
I tried rubbing it off with water- it stays put ok. I tried spraying water onto the dish it leaves water marks on the paint when dry.

I used to know what was going on and was organised in life...until I started this satellite project! Any advice?

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East Midlands
NB: I could buy another dish but it seems impossible to find a black 88cm anywhere, they are all white triax ones. I couldn't find any brick colour paint either. I don't want it to put it up and then find all the paint comes off making it looking even worse. :confused

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
martinw01908 said:
I couldn't find any brick colour paint either.
The really difficult bit is finding a brick paint which gives the correct mortar lines when painted on...

PaulR

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you look in the yellow pages for Paint, Varnish and Laquer suppliers, you'll find someone to mix you a spray can to almost any colour.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
We are not laughing at you , but with you.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

RESCO

Reaction score
Used to paint my dishes with a paint called Metalac,from an edinburgh company called craig and rose.They use it for the forth rail bridge so is very good. You can get it in any colour and you can get thinners so you can spray it ;)