Can I pick up freeview with my satellite dish?

adrian29uk

Reaction score
Ok I dont have sky, but I still have an old analogue dish and a unviersal LNB, i also have a freeview box that I bought some months ago. I gave with it using a standard aerial becuase I was not able to pick BBC1 BBC2 ITV1 & ITV2 up.

Is it possible to connect my old dish with universal LNB to my freeview box and pick up the freeview channels this way instead of using an aerial?

If so where should I point the dish?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No you cant - Freeview DTT & satellite receivers use totally different transmission formats.

As you get some ofthe DTT signals, you may just need an aerial upgrade, or maybe a suitable booster.

Talk to a local aerial rigging comapny to see what they suggest.

An old analogue receiver can still pick up some channels - Eurosport is still around in English.

www.analoguesat.co.uk

will tell you what is still around.

Turn the dish to 28E, and put a digital receiver on it, and you will get a couple of hundred tv and radio channels - a lot of dross, but there are a feww good channels hidden away that are in the clear.

Swede

Reaction score
My Location
Cambridgeshire
This sounds more like an aerial problem. What type of aerial have you got? Is it wide band, i.e., channel 21-68. If you are struggling with some of the freeview channels it's likely to be because of one or several of:

1. You have a narrowband antenna
2. The antenna don't have enough gain
3. You have to much loss in the cable

Possible solutions:

1. Buy a wideband one, Maplin do some reasonably priced once.
2. See answer to questions 1.
3. Try taking your telly up on the roof (r where you have your aerial), and connect it to the aerial with a short cable. If you get more channels then buy a mast mount LNA, also available from Maplin.

Finally were do you live? Freeview coverage is rather patchy...

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
i asked about this ages ago,i wanted to watch itv,ch4 and ch5.the problem is Freeview is transmitted in a UHF signal,and is not available via astra 28.2E. if your in england and you want freeview get yourself a freeview box or a good UHF antenna.

TWAG