can I set up my own satellite system?

sarasara

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at moment
Having found myself poor I have given up SKY and am without a satellite system.
I see people in Baghdad and Kandahar wandering home with satellite dishes made out of old oil tins and I wondered can I buy the components to set up my own satellite system? That way once its paid for I dont have to pay anymore.
How would I tune into stations?
Grateful for some advice or a good link,
Sara.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
To the board sarasara
Even though you have given up sky surely you still have the dish lnb and receiver or has someone taken them off your hands? If not then you have something to work with. Although you do say in your post that you have no satellite system. Could I suggest you have a good read of posts in the Dish set up motorised and multisat systems forum especially one's by TEENA.
Assuming you have still got all the equipment realigning of the dish would bring in many hundreds of FTA channels (depending upon satellite chosen). There are many people here willing to assist, all it takes is patience and an understanding that very small adjustments mean the difference between receiving channels or not.
Have a good read and let us know if you have any equipment.
If you haven't still got the equipment there will be many people able and willing to help with that. If you are into computers have you considered a PC satellite tuner card?? OK I think that is enough food for thought for now good luck

sarasara

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at moment
toppervte33h said:
To the board sarasara
Even though you have given up sky surely you still have the dish lnb and receiver or has someone taken them off your hands? If not then you have something to work with. Although you do say in your post that you have no satellite system. Could I suggest you have a good read of posts in the Dish set up motorised and multisat systems forum especially one's by TEENA.
Assuming you have still got all the equipment realigning of the dish would bring in many hundreds of FTA channels (depending upon satellite chosen). There are many people here willing to assist, all it takes is patience and an understanding that very small adjustments mean the difference between receiving channels or not.
Have a good read and let us know if you have any equipment.
If you haven't still got the equipment there will be many people able and willing to help with that. If you are into computers have you considered a PC satellite tuner card?? OK I think that is enough food for thought for now good luck
Thank you very much toppervte33h for that kind reply.
Indeed I do have the SKY dish and the set-top box if that is any use.
I do have a pc but I am usualy working on it when watching tv.
Also a friend with a pc sat-tuning card tells me that the pictures keep coming and going and freezing on their pc.
I am moving up into the mountains in Northern Ireland in two months and want to set up the dish there.
I seem to remember being recommended something called b-sat?
I will look at the link you have given and then come back with the result.
Thanks, :-)
sara.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well sarasara
Make sure you take the equipment with you then as you at least have something to get you going. You do not mention what make or model of receiver. Have you still got it switched on with a card inserted???? Before you go into the mountains you may as well make sure the software is up to date by switching on and leaving with card inserted for 36 hours. Are you still able to receive FTA channels on the receiver?????