can sky block my box?

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ive just returned home from holiday to find that my sky plus box wont allow me to watch tv.
everytime i pick a channel it switches itself off and eventually reboots to channel 998. i get the message connect phone line (which i always leave out and is still out) when i go to channel 101 or any other i get maybe a minutes worth of tv before it reboots to channel 998. can sky do this because my phone line isnt connected or is it more likely to be a fault with the box?
around a month ago i did get a letter from sky telling me to plug the phone line back in, thats why i think it might be connected.

any ideas?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
If it's still within the year contract and they cannot dial into your box then without this happening the box will go into the mode you indicate.

They haven't blocked your box just that the box needs to receive a call from sky so that they can check you haven't been watching PPV without paying etc.

If you've nothing to hide, plug it into the phoneline overnight - they will dial in and when it's working again unplug until the next time.

You did sign a contract to say the box would be connected to the phone line for a year at the start I take it?

That's why the boxes are cheap or free.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yes i signed the contract. ive got 2 boxes so when i use the internet i unplug the sky box.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Didn't think that they could block your box in that way, but:

Try in the first case going into the installers menu and doing a new installation callback, plug in the phone first though. If that doesn't cure the problem, try a forced update.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
will do thanks, ive been in amsterdam for a week so i suppose its possible my wife has done something

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
doggy said:
will do thanks, ive been in amsterdam for a week so i suppose its possible my wife has done something

Don't go there!!!

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
whats wrong with amsterdam?? its a very nice place,people are friendly and theres no telly license :-)

TWAG
fags and booze are cheap here also

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
twag42 said:
whats wrong with amsterdam?? its a very nice place,people are friendly and theres no telly license :-)
TWAG
fags and booze are cheap here also

No I think you have misunderstood, Gameboy was intimating doggy's wife had been up to mischief which whilst doggy was away. Everyone knows how nice Amsterdam is.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
amsterdam and holland in general are amazing, especially if you go of the beaten track.
trust me guys i behaved myself