Can you record Sky Comedy digitally? Help.

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
Hello,

This is my first post here, as you can see I'm not based in the UK.

The reason I am posting here is because I am asking if anyone here would be able to digitally record a special on Sky Comedy this week for me.

You might have heard the news 2 weeks ago that there was severe flooding in the midwest USA. That flooding hit my friends house, ruining his extensive videotape and laserdisc collection, many of which are not available on DVD.

I did some research and saw Sky Comedy is playing one of his irreplaceable recordings this week, and I was hoping someone in the UK could record it since his copy on Laserdisc and VHS were ruined. It has not been released on DVD.

I can handle the PAL > NTSC transfer. I can FTP/Web transfer or I can pay shipping.

Thanks for your time, please PM me if you can help or want more info.

Best Wishes,
Jay

PS - I hope this does not violate the posting rules...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Do you know when it's on and what it is called?

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
rolfw said:
Do you know when it's on and what it is called?

Yes, it's The Pirates of Penzance, channel 303 at 03:55AM on Sunday, July 6th.
(I'm going by the online listing, so the time might be wrong)

There is a DVD of this from an earlier live performance, but the quality is horrid. This should be the studio movie version, according to the program notes.

There also was a Laserdisc release, but it was 4:3. It has been shown in widescreen in the US years ago, but hasn't recently.

Thanks,
Jay

SkyTV listing said:
The Pirates Of Penzance

* Sun 06 Jul
* 03:55-05:55
* Sky Comedy

Kevin Kline makes only his second film appearance, repeating his award-winning Broadway performance in this dashing revival of the Gilbert and Sullivan swashbuckler. (1983)(108 mins)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'll see if I can record it on my Dreambox, then I can make a DVD file for you, I make no guarantees though, would be nice if someone else can try for a backup version. :).

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
Thank you so very much. I hope I got the time right, the Sky program guide adjusts based on your computers home time zone I think, so I might be off by an hour or so.

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
rolfw said:
I'll see if I can record it on my Dreambox, then I can make a DVD file for you, I make no guarantees though, would be nice if someone else can try for a backup version. :).

Rolf, if it makes it any easier, it doesn't even need to be in DVD format, I'm sure I could convert it from the raw file. You don't know how happy this will make my friend when he sees this. PoP is his 'blue day' movie. I've made a donation to your forum here, probably not as significant considering the exchange rate ;)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
would be nice if someone else can try for a backup version. :).

Well I would Rolf but I do not have sky plus, perhaps I can do it to DVD though, I'll have a look

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not doing it on Sky+, as I have nothing to transfer it onto afterwards, will attempt a timed recording on the Dreambox, which produces a .ts file. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Just thought I would check up and we do not have comedy 303 on our subscription. We only have the basic package so cannot help on this sorry.

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
I found a few guides for making DVD's from TS files, it looks like they are very similar to muxed files you rip from DVD, piece of cake :)

Topper, thanks for checking.

Also, I hope I put the correct time up there, but I'm guessing with the Dreambox theres some sort of EPG which will show the correct time slot anyway.

Best wishes,
Jay

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Had to use my Sky+ in the end, as it was very windy and I was suffering slight breakup on my motorised dish. So may be a while for me to find a recorder I can borrow. :)

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
Thanks Rolf! Is there anything I can do to help?

I hope this hasn't become a huge endeavor for you now.

~jay

rolfw said:
Had to use my Sky+ in the end, as it was very windy and I was suffering slight breakup on my motorised dish. So may be a while for me to find a recorder I can borrow. :)

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
Hi, I've read some info on the Sky+ and I think I understand what the process is since the Sky+ encrypts and has a null USB port.

If you wish to contact me offline, I've enabled the contact feature in my profile here (I think)

Thanks,
Jay

rolfw said:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No need to Jay, just need to borrow my friend's DVD recorder. :) Then I'll rip it to the PC and put it on rapidshare or similar for you. :)

May be a week or so, but it'll get to you. :)

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
No need to rush, thanks for doing this.

I've been sucked in to the world of UK satellite TV. Being a former US TV master control op., it's addicting ;)

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
Just a thought, I've recently had better luck with Megaupload, they allow 1GB file sizes. A DVD might need to be rar-split?

Or, if it is easier, I could setup an FTP site for you to use.

Thanks,
Jay

rolfw said:
No need to Jay, just need to borrow my friend's DVD recorder. :) Then I'll rip it to the PC and put it on rapidshare or similar for you. :)

May be a week or so, but it'll get to you. :)

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
Rolf,

Any luck?

Unfortunately, I don't think Pirates of Penzance has aired anywhere since way back in July, and isn't scheduled for DVD release yet.

If you don't have it anymore, that's fine too.

Sorry for being a nuisance.

~jay

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Jay, sorry, had forgotten all about this. :) I viewed the DVD after converting it, but was not over impressed with the quality, have noticed though that you can get it on Amazon _http://www.amazon.com/Gilbert-Sullivan-Penzance-Routledge-Delacorte/dp/B00006RCMW/ref=pd_sim_v_1

oldsyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD64, ATSC Terrestrial
My Location
Iowa, USA
Rolf,

Actually that DVD listed is not the 1983 film, but is a live performance at Central Park's Delacourte Theatre in New York City.

It's actually very misleading because that same DVD shows up in IMDB when you look up the listing for PoP, but it is not the 1983 film version shot on a studio set with professional film and sound.

The 1983 film was only released on VHS and Laserdisc long ago.

If you still have it, no matter what quality, I'd still be interested in it.

I have heard that the version shown on TV is sometimes widescreen where even the VHS was in 4:3 format.

Thanks,
Jay

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Send me a PM with your address Jay and I'll post it to you. :)