Can you use a Sky Digital LNB to pick up hotbird?

thewarrior

Reaction score
As I am having problems with my current LNB and have had Sky Digital in the past and now have cable tv. Would l pick up Hotbird if l choose to use the LNB on the Sky Dish poisitioned at 28 East.

thanks in advance,
tw

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
thewarrior said:
As I am having problems with my current LNB and have had Sky Digital in the past and now have cable tv. Would l pick up Hotbird if l choose to use the LNB on the Sky Dish poisitioned at 28 East.

LNB will be OK (universal)

Move the dish to 13 deg east and that's it.

What receiver do you have?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
No problem then...

thewarrior

Reaction score
thanx for the idea, as l was gonna change the LNB onto my other dish, but now l can just connect the coax to the sky dish and set-up the elevation and positioning...

thanks very much, nice one, saves me from buying one tomorrow...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
The elevation should be OK just swing the dish round to the right (looking from the back).

Good idea to mark the position it's in just now in case you ever want to put it back.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You probably won't get all the channels, as the signal is generally weaker on Hotbird, but some folks here have got maybe half, depending on where you are of course.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yeah, good luck. As your reception is going to be marginal, the weather will have a noticeable effect if it's not a clear dry day, so don't be too disappointed at first.

You may be pleasantly surprised. Let us know how you get on.

thewarrior

Reaction score
l live in Coventry, so hopefully will get a decent signal quality, better than my old LNB, which gave up after a few days...usually the quality would be 50% (once re-aligned) then drop to 5% after 2-3 days.

Not good with all this bad weather though... its a bit windy..

I will be ordering a 0.3 LNB, if l have no luck with the sky mini-dish and stick that on my other dish.
the problem is whether a 45cm Sky mini-dish can pick-up hotbird. However, if the mini-dish cant pick up hotbird, then I can remove the sky dish LNB and place this on my other dish (which is currently on hotbird). Hopefully the Sky LNB can fit onto my other dish, providing it holds in the circular bracket.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
The size of the dish is of more importance than the LNB figure (in my opinion) an 80cm dish at your location will pull in a lot more channels.

You can check out the recommended dish sizes on the LyngSat site for the channels you want to receive.

thewarrior

Reaction score
does anyone know what the collar size is on the Sky mini-dish? Just keeping my options open, as if it can fit onto a conventional LNB arm bracket, l can try this if l am unable to pick up hotbird with the sky mini-dish.

problem is that the end of the Sky LNB is rectangular (connects to the LNB arm) and my conventional dish (which was brought many years ago) is circular.

thewarrior

Reaction score
My other dish is 80cm, which picks up hotbird without any issues.

I will try and pickup hotbird with the 45cm sky mini-dish, if unsuccessful, place the Sky LNB onto my 80cm dish and see if that works. Problem is whether the Sky LNB will mount securely onto my old conventional dish bracket arm, as the end of the sky LNB is rectangular, whilst my 80cm dish has a circular bracket arm.

thanks for the advice

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Sounds like it will not fit without some DIY.

LNBs are not that expensive (Lidl had them for £3.99 some time ago) you can get them for under £20 on eBay.

Depends how good your DIY skills - if you damage your dish arm it may become a costly exercise.

thewarrior

Reaction score
yes a bit of DIY is required, however, l will just buy a new one, they arent that expensive

well, just have to see what happens in the morning,
cheers,

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
i got a 0.6 lnb for free with my dish, seems to work quite well, as i get a stronger signal on my sky minidish with it (where i put it for testing, when i had no luck finding sats)

dish was pretty reasonably priced too. shop around.

derelitto

Reaction score
gameboy said:
LNB will be OK (universal)

Move the dish to 13 deg east and that's it.

What receiver do you have?

Could it work also with an echostar dvr-7000?

thx

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
derelitto said:
Could it work also with an echostar dvr-7000?

As long as it fits your dish - see problems earlier in this thread.