Canadian Lottery Scam

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Saw this on Sky News this morning, the guy who said "I'd like to think that I'm not a gullible person", sends off thousands of pounds to an unknown company to cover administration etc, so that they can send him the x Million Dollar prize, from a lottery that he has never knowingly entered.......................Not Gullible?

Got an E-mail myself yesterday

Greetings,

Your email address was entered into our November Microsoft X-Box promotional competition
by either yourself or a friend, or perhaps a family member, at http://www.prize-giveaway.com

This is a prize draw, you have actually won a brand new Microsoft X-Box Gaming Console!

Your package also includes these top 5 games:
- Halo
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- Max Payne
- Splinter Cell
- Panzer Dragoon Orta

You are now invited to login to our website and claim your prize that you have already won.
There are only 9 winners in total this month, out of thousands of emails, so do count yourself lucky!

We have provided the following web link for you, it is temporary and expires in 72 hours.
If you do not login within this time, your winning shall unfortunately be returned to the prize pool.

Here is your link!
http://www.prize-giveaway.com/cgi-b...er=xxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx&ref=089999DCS28392999223

On this page you will need to enter this pass code number to proceed:

xxxxx

This is very important. Do not lose that number!
Put in your address, and we will send your X-Box to you.

We hope that you will enjoy your new X-Box gaming console.

Congratulations on winning,

From Microsoft and the Prize-Giveaway.com team!

Here's the rub, when you go to the site using the link, it asks you to put in the personal code, then takes you to a form page.

You put your address in and then the next section

Due to several people attempting to hack our website to claim free prizes, we now require that you pay for shipping costs as verification that you are an actual winner. We apologize for this inconvenience but it is to make sure that YOU get your X-Box, not someone else!
You will only be charged for the shipping option that you select below. The X-Box itself is of no charge.
Shipping

Select a shipping option Rest of World -> $14.50
Updated 11-25-03:

We are sorry that we can not accept credit cards
at this time, due to temporary technical issues with our merchant account.
We do hope to have credit card available as an option as soon as possible.

Now knowing that I enter a lot of online competitions (too many to remember), this could well be genuine, but I don't want an X-Box sufficiently, to give them my debit card number. It also stinks that they won't accept credit cards, perhaps because of the chargeback policy of the credit card companies, never had to pay the postage on a competition win before and never will, but how many people will fall for this?

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
I don't have a credit card or a debit card so never have to worry about things like this.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Was listening to Radio 2 this afternoon and didn't realize that this Canadian scam is very active and has been fleecing pensioners for the best part of a year or so.

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Sorry Rolfw I don't understand people sending money to anyone in order to claim a prize. Though having said that, these people are so damn good at what they do that they do get away with it.
My thoughts "If it seems too good to be true. It is"
Allan
noel.gif

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Dead right Allan, but there is always that glimmer of hope inside people, that it might be the real thing and this is what causes the problem.