Canary Islands - 20 minute BBC1/ITV loss @ 21:40GMT

Hedley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tecatel 3.1 dish
Pace 2600c1 receiver
My Location
Fuerteventura
Help! I am not sleeping as I am totally puzzled by reception problems from Astra 2d. I live in Corralejo, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands and have a recently installed 3.1m tecatel dish, a C120 Invacom quad LNB and Invacom feedhorn, with a Pace 2000C1 receiver. I get perfect reception on BBC1, BBC2 and ITV1 all day execept at exactly 21:40 GMT, 22:40 BST, when the picture gets heavy pixelated and within 1 minute no satellite signal being received. 20 minutes later everything is back perfect agin! I have changed the dish, the LNB, feedhorn, cable and receiver all to no avail. When the signal is lost I have looked around all around the dish but failed to find any electrical appliances, on a time clock, that may be affecting things.
Does anyone have the same problem?
Does anyone have any ideas why am I having this problem?
Does anyone know is Astra doing something with their Astra 2d bird at this time?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Hedley.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look at this table of RF frequencies in use

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/rf_freq_allo_euro.htm

Work out the IF of the channels you are having problems with, (subtract 9750 from the transponder frequency as they are on low band) and see if anything comes close from the table.

Hedley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tecatel 3.1 dish
Pace 2600c1 receiver
My Location
Fuerteventura
Hi Rolfw,
Thanks for the information but it has lost me a little. I have checked out the web-site but cannot seem to find Sky Digital only a reference to TDAB satellite audio broadcast. However one of the channel that disappears, at exactly 22:40 BST, for 20 minutes each evening, is BBC1 Wales at 10.803Ghz for the rest of the day reception is perfect.
Hedley

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Just a guess but could this be something to do with the spring equinox and the satellite switching over to battery power for a short period of reduced sun on the solar panels?

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
i think Topper has the answer. Did the drop out move forward one hour with the clocks last weekend?
I've noticed something very similar in Madrid, the weak spot for the past few weeks has been at this time, just before Astra 2D goes into eclipse. I've got some margin on my dish so I'm only losing 10891H ITV Meridian, but you must have a signal right at the threshold of breakup in late evening. I guess SES Astra will want to conserve energy by switching to batteries at the last possible moment. The affected channels are horizontal 2D frequencies, such as 10803H and 10773H. If the problem disapppears in the next week or so, then eclipse will be the reason. It will recur in six months' time, then every spring and autumn.
The only solution is to increase dish size. You have the best possible gear in other respects.

Hedley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tecatel 3.1 dish
Pace 2600c1 receiver
My Location
Fuerteventura
Thanks Snap & Topper, I hope you are both correct, it sounds very logical. Yes the probelm occurred last week at 21:40 to 22:00 and now it is 22:40 to 23:00 as the hour has gone forward. The installation is new, only 6 weeks old, and there has been a very steep learning curve!! plus I have no experience of reception at other times of the year. I will again try to optimise the dish to alleviate the loss and also wait to see what happens over the next few weeks. Any ideas when this eclipse totally disappears?
Hedley.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Again I am guessing but I do not think it will last more than another couple of weeks. From the documentation I once read the panels are in the penumbra region not the umbra therefore it should be short lived although I am sure it must be very annoying.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
2D will be clear of the earth's shadow at night in a matter of days.

Be prepared for poor signal late in the evenings from June onward to September. October- January is the best time of year in central Iberia. It may be slightly different further west.

You'll almost certainly lose BBC2 at this time during the summer.

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
Hi Hedley

I live in Fuerteventura. Where did you buy your 3.1 metre dish?

Hedley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tecatel 3.1 dish
Pace 2600c1 receiver
My Location
Fuerteventura
I got the 3.1m dish from Freesat, fully fitted under €3000. They have fitted several of these dishes here on Fuerte aswell as Lanzarote and my dish, typical, is the only one which seems to have this 20 minute loss off BBC1 at 22:40. I am optimistic it can be ironed out though!!!. If you would like to come and have a look at the set-up you would be most welcome just email me. Today or Tuesday is best this week.

rato

International Administrator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
snap said:
2D will be clear of the earth's shadow at night in a matter of days.

Be prepared for poor signal late in the evenings from June onward to September. October- January is the best time of year in central Iberia. It may be slightly different further west.

You'll almost certainly lose BBC2 at this time during the summer.

I have no probs here with Astra 2D. All of the BBC & ITV channies with no break-up during the evening, whatever the season(will test at 22:40 today to see if there is a loss off). I do have this effect on Channel Five:
It is stronger now in spring equinox(had the same effect last year), and when October comes, it weakens again.What happens is this - Spring & summer; I can receive Five during the day and late evening with no break-up. Late autumn & Winter; I can't even get a picture during the day, only in the early morning! The same thing happens with my dad's system and he's just about half a mile away from my place. We both have Sky Digiboxes, mine is the Pace DS430N, his is the Grundig GDS2000. Both of our dishes are 1,25m offset and use the same LNB(Invacom TWH031 0,3dB.).

bogjumper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65 FTA receiver, 1.3 dish
My Location
COIN , MALAGA, SPAIN
Deal All
thanks for replies but my problem is not similar to that of the Canary islands nor do I have the background for intricate calculations. I wondered if it might be the quality of my LNB which is very bog standard. Does anyone have any advice on this. Thank you.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Very many of the problems in Spain are caused by the fitting of bog standard (read 'mediocre') LNBs.
A bog standard LNB will:
-have only average gain.
-not give sufficient margin for rain
-have poor resistence to interference from strong adjacent channels
-quite often start to fail after a two years in strong Spanish sunshine
A better LNB will not have any of the above problems, but will cost you a bit more.

bogjumper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65 FTA receiver, 1.3 dish
My Location
COIN , MALAGA, SPAIN
I would just like to thank all of those members who responded to my request regarding signal fade at night in Spain.The latest reply convinces me that I need to upgrade parts of my equipment and possibly tinker a bit. So once again many thanks and a peaceful and happy Easter.

Bogjumper

Hedley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tecatel 3.1 dish
Pace 2600c1 receiver
My Location
Fuerteventura
I think I have found the answer to my problem? Firstly I do not think my dish was optimised so any drop in signal strength pushed me over the edge. I picked up on another thread a great explanation of satellite signal strength, check out www.celestrak.com/columns/v04n09. Dish now removed, drastic I know but I must have BBC1 ! New fibreglass dish arriving soon so will report on signal then.

fuertesport

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad 550
1.3 mtr dish
My Location
Fuerteventura
hi
i live in parque holandes just outside corajelo fuertventura
i have a 1.2 dish and get sky
i am looking buy 1.9m dish
so i get sky sports + movie channels
does anyone no if buy this size dish
if i can these channels
regards
simon

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
You should not need a 1.9 metre dish. I live in Lajares and can receive Sky Sports with a 1.2 metre dish. I don't subscribe to movies, so I can't comment on them. A 1.4 x 1.2 elliptical dish should work ok.