Cancer Drug Kills Every Kind of Tumour: Study

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I found this article here http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/
this sounds like very good news if it is true...
It's about time, too!

Stanford University scientists have discovered a single drug that has killed or shrunk every kind of cancer tumor it has been used against — a new anti-cancer weapon that some have described as a kind of medical Holy Grail.

The drug blocks a protein produced in large amounts by cancer cells — called CD47 — that keeps the body’s immune system from fighting tumors. By shutting down the CD47 production, the new antibody drug effectively leaves cancer cells vulnerable to the body’s own natural defense mechanisms.

Special: This Small Group of Doctors are Quietly Curing Cancer

Tests of the drug found that it destroyed several kinds of human cancer cells transplanted into mice — including breast, ovary, colon, bladder, brain, liver, and prostate tumors — by prompting the rodents’ immune systems to kill the cancer cells.

“We showed that even after the tumor had taken hold, the antibody can either cure the tumor or slow its growth and prevent metastasis,” said biologist Irving Weissman of the Stanford University School of Medicine, in an interview with Science Magazine.

The research, published this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, could lead to clinical trials in cancer patients as early as next year, according to a Stanford School of Medicine statement posted on its website.

The new research is an outgrowth of previous studies Weissman conducted that found leukemia cells produce higher levels of CD47 than healthy cells, Science Magazine reported. In recent years, Weissman and colleagues discovered that blocking CD47 with an antibody cured some cases of lymphoma and leukemia in mice by stimulating the immune system to see the cancer cells as invaders.

But the new research goes further, suggesting CD47 isn’t just important against leukemias and lymphomas, but attacks every kind of tumor tested to date, Weissman said.

The study was funded, in part, by a $20 million grant from the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine for human studies.

© 2013 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Sounds very promising indeed, now we'll no longer have to look to space and hope there's a cure out there somewhere when there's (a potential) one here on earth... :)

But what's the betting that it won't be available on the NHS? O-Ha

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
2cvbloke said:
Sounds very promising indeed, now we'll no longer have to look to space and hope there's a cure out there somewhere when there's (a potential) one here on earth... :)

But what's the betting that it won't be available on the NHS? O-Ha
Trust me, if it's going to save them millions in chemo therapy and other expensive treatments they will force feed you those pills for breakfast...