cannibalising an "ABQ-1H4G" from ADB Ltd?

allend66

allend
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Costa Daurada, Catalonia, Spain
Greetings All,

Bit of a challenge, this one. I live in Spain, and we had Auna cable for a while. Well, we got rid but they didn't collect the decoder. It's a model ABQ-1H4G, from ADB Ltd, Thailand.

Well, I thought about using the card reader in it to supplement my Silvercrest SL65, if at all possible. Anybody got any ideas if this is (a) possible, (:cool: worth the trouble?

Regards
D
(p.s. - I'm a bit of a newbie, but not too useless...)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
What is the Silvercrest supposed to do, and what would you like it to do?

allend66

allend
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Thanks for your interest - I'd thought of using a smart-card (hacked, of course) to open up some pay-channels. For example, I live in Spain, but miss terribly my fix of English TV. I can get BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, ITV, Radio 2 + Radio 4 ( all FTA) but channel 4 + 5 are locked up (inside SKY?).

Or do I not need a smart-card and reader, maybe just some keys?

Thank you for your patience.
D

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Still dont know what the Silvercrest does

allend66

allend
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
it's a basic digital satellite receiver, picked it up from Lidl, €65. It's made by Co-mag in Germany. any good to you?

It's preloaded with Astra1, Hotbird, Turksat, Sirius2 + Amos. I have it pointed at amos 4w but any amount of channels are PPV.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If its FTA only (with no PCMCIA /CI slot) then thats all it will do. Nothing from the other box will fit onto or into it.

allend66

allend
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Ok, thanks, looks like I can retire the soldering iron. then I suppose for the coded channels, I need to find keys / hex files?
well, thanks for your responses

d

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
There arent any codes for the Sky pay channels. If you want them you pay for them:D

allend66

allend
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Rat!!

Why must my life-long quest for a freebie be so darn difficult!?:-righton

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Just wait a couple of years and they will be FTA.

Otherwise
1) a rather large UHF aerial pointing roughly north
2) a UK relative streams the channels to you via broadband
3) more important programmes for you are recorded and then posted over.

(I dunno, people go abroad for a holiday, and all they want is UK TV when they get there)

allend66

allend
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Channel Hotter - word up on your advice, but:

a) 'She who must be obeyed' would never sanction a rather large UHF ariel pointing north, or any direction

:cool: I don't think any rellies have BB (small fam), and even if they did, taking into account my Dad STILL can't get "text-messaging" on his hand-me-down Nokia, even after several tutorials AND a written checklist, streaming a live TV link is somewhat optimistic (and my Mom: 'I don't want a bloody "mobile phone" ')

c) more important (priority) programmes, such as The Shield season 4 are downloaded on eMule, but there is only certain content available on file-share networks: More important (non-priority) progs are recorded when they are remembered but not posted - I have to view them when I return to Blighty for my holiday in summer or Christmas (I'm an Ex-pat you see)

d) I'll assume you've never ever seen Spanish TV. To say that it is "absolute bloody-awful sh*te" would be a dis-service to sh*te. It really is amazingly bad. (Note to any Spanish readers: It's a cultural thing - It's not bad, I just don't 'get it')

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
d) - I am wondering if you have seen the TV services that come off Hispasat (or indeed Astra 1), there is certainly something about terrestrial Spanish TV, but the offerings on satellite in my view are on par with UK terrestrial. AXN for example is one of those channels with quite a few US police/law dramatisations.

Since you are a fan of the Shield (IMHO he series went somewhat downhill after the appearance of the Glenn Close character), have you checked the releases of DVDs from the US lately?
Region 1 only, but certainly cheaper to get a multiregion DVD player.

allend66

allend
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Yep, AXN was a firm favourite when we had Auna cable. (plus you could put the audio to original version).

So what your saying is AXN is available free-to-air on hispasat?!?! I thought I had done my homework with complete channel listings, but I must've missed that one..
__www.lingsat.com has listings but maybe I need to google another list of channels.

agreed with comments re:the bunny-cooker. i'm still waiting for the series to "take off" like the other 3 did.

and DVD's? - I'll look into it. Good egg!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With your Silvercrest and the relevant serial lead, plus a bit of reading on this site (a long thread in the Portuguese section, plus other infor in Receiver Software section), then you may find AXN available. ;)

allend66

allend
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Rolfw Sir, you are an officer and a gentleman!

I'm nearly fluent in Spanish but my portuguese is awful at best. I'll get searching, thanks.

Will let you know what I find. Watch this space...

allend66

allend
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Rolfw - after trawling the portuguese section, I did find a bit in English, but well.....

to be honest, I bought the satellite system to get English TV + radio. (Which I have: the dish is pointed at amos2). This coupled with my fantastic luck re: flashing firmwares, etc, and my amazing patented "Anti-Midas Touch (where everything I touch turns to cr*p)" <tm>, if I meddled, I'd botch the decoder: so I'm going to leave it, and download anything juicy that I want from p2p.

Thanks for the help + assistance.

D

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
dont give up life is for living or taking or both if you're a greedy bastard!:-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2