cannot get H polar signal, but V polar is great?

greendog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
old sky mesh dish with new Maplin single universal lnb
My Location
Herts
Hi I use my satellite to watch German TV. After the analogue switch off I bought a Technomate digital receiver and connected it to my old sky mesh dish with the existing lnb but I could not get a signal. I bought a new universal single lnb and installed it while trying not to disturb the dish set up. I can now get all transponders on Astra 19.2 E that have a V polarisation (is that how you describe it?), however anything with H polarisation shows only 20% quality. I tried adjusting the skew and very briefly got good quality on the H, which then went intermittent and then back to 20%. I cannot replicate that set up/skew. What else can I try? Do I have a faulty lnb?
Thanks for your help!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
1. Have you selected the right LNB Settings in the TM?

(It'll be either "Universal", "Universal 1", Universal 9750/10600")

2. Please tell us exactly what LNB it is ............... some that Maplin have sold have a funny construction which confuses skew adjustment.

greendog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Herts
Hi and thanks for your help.

I have checked the LNB setting on the receiver. I have three choices, Single, Universal, OCS. It's currently set to Universal. The frequency is set to 9.750/10.600

The LNB is a Nikkai Universal Single LNB (order code A03FT)

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/1-way-satellite-lnb-97019?utm_source=maplin&utm_medium=ebook&utm_content=catalogue_2011_2012&utm_campaign=A03FT

Regarding skew, I turned the LNB by small degrees in both directions and as mentioned earlier I got a good quality signal at one stage and fixed it in that position. By the time I got off the roof the quality was rapidly fluctuating and later quality was down again to 20%. A seccond attempt at adjusting the skew brought no improvement at all.

[warning]Live External Link disabled iaw Forum Rules [/warning]

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok.

Quality fluctuating significantly in benign conditions points towards a poor connection.

Check that the F connectors at each end of the cable are correctly fitted ie sheath solidly in contact with main body of plugs and inner sufficiently long that it makes connect with the female part of the socket. Check also for wisps of braid that might be able to short to the inner.

Ensure that you gently tighten the F connectors onto the sockets using an 11mm spanner.

Edit: Whoops - forgot that it is only H affected: Check the connections anyway, while I scratch my head!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Horizontal polarisation needs a nominal voltage of 17v whilst vertical needs a nominal 13v so maybe your receiver isn't giving enough voltage out for the H. If you have a multimeter check the voltage on the LNB input of the receiver. If possible check the voltage up at the LNB end of the cable as well in case there's a big voltage drop in the cable.

Have a look in the installation menu of the receiver to see if there's any option to increase the voltages for a long cable run.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, thankyou for scratching my head for me - excellent point!

greendog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Herts
Thanks Tivu and PaulR, I think you both helped in the end. When I got round to looking at this again, I switched the receiver on and while going through the menu options with one hand, I tightend the F1 connectors with the other. My receiver has two options for LNB power, on and off, and it must have been set to on otherwise I would not have received V polar? Anyway I switched between the two options left it on "on" and it worked! So, I don't know which one of you had the right advice in the end; thank you to both of you! I now have more German channels than ever. :)

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
saw this and there could be a few resions why there is no horz pol.
unplug the mains and plug it back in. run another search.
receiver could be bad and will not generare 18 volts to go horz.
lnb could be bad. even though it was new in the box
cable could be old,cracked and some water got in over the years.
also if you have a friend with another working satellite system you could take it to his house and check it there.
if astra 19 works there, then its lnb or cable.
Ralph

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
greendog said:
Thanks Tivu and PaulR, I think you both helped in the end. When I got round to looking at this again, I switched the receiver on and while going through the menu options with one hand, I tightend the F1 connectors with the other. My receiver has two options for LNB power, on and off, and it must have been set to on otherwise I would not have received V polar? Anyway I switched between the two options left it on "on" and it worked! So, I don't know which one of you had the right advice in the end; thank you to both of you! I now have more German channels than ever. :)

Excellent news - glad you resolved it.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You're right that without any connection the power couldn't get to the LNB and there'd be no signal. But I think it was probably the loose connection making a resistive connection, which would drop the voltage, that was the problem..