Advice Needed Cannot record from my satellite free to air channel

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a humax fox free to air receiver and a PIXX ADT 1200 free to air
My Location
England
I am probably being really thick but I cannot record from my satellite channel (free to air). The recorder is definitely able to record from the satellite free to air (i.e. not freesat) but it doesn't.

I have a Panasonic TV TVTx-L42e5b and a new Panasonic DMR BWT740 blu ray recorder.

I can can see my Free to air TV5Monde satellite channel on the AV1 channel. If I go to the HMI2 [PVR] channel I can see the windows brought up by the DVD recorder and I can find the manual recorder window.

I can also change from Digital normal TV to AV1 which is the way I would hope to record from satellite.

I cannot see the satellite channel on HMI2 [PVR] when I change to AV1 as the input.

If I try to record from the AV1 channel I just get a blank black recording.

I have looked at all the settings but cannot see what is wrong so have not changed anything.

There must be something very simple wrong but it is driving me mad trying to find out what. Has anyone got a clue where I am going wrong please?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've yet to come across a Frreview plus unit which records an external input and having just looked at the review, this one doesn't appear to either.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Just checked your recorder, DMR BWT740 blu ray recorder, and it does appear to have a Scart socket, which some new DVD recorders don't, so it should be possible, unless it's got a DMR block.
You should be able to record from the scart, in fact one of the reviews, I've found, states you can:
"Panasonic's 2013 Blu-ray/HDD Freeview+ HD recorder, the DMR-BWT735, was ... phono audio outputs and a Scart input for recording from external equipment."

What make/model satellite receiver are you using, as my quick searches class both your television, and recorder, to be freeview ony?
Try tuning your television to your DVD recorder, whichever HDMI input you're using, have your satellite receiver tuned to a FTA satellite channel, not available on Freeview, then select the AV1, Scart, option, on your recorder, you should now be able to view, and record, the satellite channel, on your recorder.
If not try a different scart lead, preferably not a fully wired one, as you don't want to send signals in both directions.
Check your DVD recorders manual, for recording from the scart input, and see what settings, cable, they recommend.

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Just checked your recorder, DMR BWT740 blu ray recorder, and it does appear to have a Scart socket, which some new DVD recorders don't, so it should be possible, unless it's got a DMR block.
You should be able to record from the scart, in fact one of the reviews, I've found, states you can:
"Panasonic's 2013 Blu-ray/HDD Freeview+ HD recorder, the DMR-BWT735, was ... phono audio outputs and a Scart input for recording from external equipment."

What make/model satellite receiver are you using, as my quick searches class both your television, and recorder, to be freeview ony?
Try tuning your television to your DVD recorder, whichever HDMI input you're using, have your satellite receiver tuned to a FTA satellite channel, not available on Freeview, then select the AV1, Scart, option, on your recorder, you should now be able to view, and record, the satellite channel, on your recorder.
If not try a different scart lead, preferably not a fully wired one, as you don't want to send signals in both directions.
Check your DVD recorders manual, for recording from the scart input, and see what settings, cable, they recommend.

Thank you Mickha that is reassuring - I am using a skyline receiver and you are right it is definitely possible as I managed to do it once but since then the settings may have been changed by the engineer who came out to set it up properly. It may be the scart lead but I have a feeling that the recorder is not looking in the right place for the satellite input. If I go to the AV1 channel I cannot see the instructions from the recorder and if I go to the HDM1 channel which the engineer set up as the personal recorder channel I cannot get an input from the satellite when I change from digital input to AV1... I think I may have to ask the engineer to come out again.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
You shouldn't need the engineer.
First tune your satellite receiver to a FTA channel, that you're certain isn't available on Freeview.
Next tune your television to your DVD recorder input, HDMI 1, if this is correct. Now put your TV remote to the side and get your DVD remote. Start flickimng through the channels, on your DVD recorder, to ensure you're on the correct HDMI input.
Once you're certain look at your DVD remote for the scart/AV button and press it until you see the FTA satellite channel.
Once you can see the channel try recording it by pressing the instant record button, on your DVD remote.

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
You shouldn't need the engineer.
First tune your satellite receiver to a FTA channel, that you're certain isn't available on Freeview.
Next tune your television to your DVD recorder input, HDMI 1, if this is correct. Now put your TV remote to the side and get your DVD remote. Start flickimng through the channels, on your DVD recorder, to ensure you're on the correct HDMI input.
Once you're certain look at your DVD remote for the scart/AV button and press it until you see the FTA satellite channel.
Once you can see the channel try recording it by pressing the instant record button, on your DVD remote.

Thank you Mickha - The satellite receiver is tuned to a FTA channel which is not available on Freeview. I can see this if I go to AV1.
I can see the UK digital channels on HDMI2. I now look at my DVD remote and change the input using the input select button but I just get a blank black screen. There are only two choices TV and AV for the input. With my former set up which was using a DVD player which was not blu ray I had to do all my recording on the AV1 channel I think.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Going back to first principles how are the units wired interconnected?

You need to get round the back and see where all the wires go - dont rely on what you think it should be!

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
It sounds like your Scart lead, from your satellite receiver, to your DVD recorder, is either not plugged in correctly, or faulty.
How many scart ports do you have on your satellite receiver? If more than one try a different port. Also try changing the scart lead round, take the end, currently in your DVD reorder, and plug it into your satellite receiver, then take the end, that was in your satellite receiver, and plug it into your DVD recorder.

If this isn't the problem you might have to check your manual, to see if there is an option to select different inputs, for your DVD recorder, like on your television, USB device, Scart/AV, Phono, etc..

Just found an online manual, for a DVRBWT740, which state:
Recording from external equipment:
Press the Input Select button, select AV, and press OK.

Last edited:

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
It sounds like your Scart lead, from your satellite receiver, to your DVD recorder, is either not plugged in correctly, or faulty.
How many scart ports do you have on your satellite receiver? If more than one try a different port. Also try changing the scart lead round, take the end, currently in your DVD reorder, and plug it into your satellite receiver, then take the end, that was in your satellite receiver, and plug it into your DVD recorder.

If this isn't the problem you might have to check your manual, to see if there is an option to select different inputs, for your DVD recorder, like on your television, USB device, Scart/AV, Phono, etc..

Thank you Mickha and Analoguesat - I looked at the back of the DVD recorder and the scart lead had come loose. I hate scart leads - it never occurred to me that it would take it upon itself to break free. Hurrah! It was driving me mad. Thank you both for helping me and making me go back to basics.