PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I'm trying to help a friend with his new Canon CanoScan LIDE 20/30 scanner.

He bought it to replace his previous one which went tits up after making nasty graunching noises.

His first problem was that the installation program wouldn't play ball as his C drive was nearly full. He also has a D drive with plenty of space and I was able to talk him through on the phone how to customise the installation process. I then thought everything would be OK.

Unfortunately the scanner, even though installed , refuses to scan (even to make a copy) as it thinks there is not enough space on the C drive.

What I need help with is where to change the default drive for scanned images from C to D (registry? ini file??). Does anyone know where the information resides?

I have to everything everything on the phone he is not local to me. His machine runs Win 98 (SE I think).

Help please.

PaulR

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There should be an option in the Canon software control panel to change the temp directory PaulR, if not then can he not clear some files from his C drive over to his D drive?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Obviously I'm trying to do this at a distance but he assures me that he's cleared as much out of C as possible. I'll see whether I can guide him through the control panel - blind leading the blind perhaps?

PaulR

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, tried to do it a couple of times myself, but always very difficult.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Is there not a remote desktop function with MSN or Netmeeting?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Mmmmm, never thought of that. I've got Messenger 6 installed on this machine. I never use it myself as it's there for my younger daughter to abuse, sorry use.

PaulR

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If it is still on drive C you (rather your friend) could try setting the windows page file to be on drive D.

I’m not sure of the exact procedure for doing this in Windows 98, but if you have access to a 98 system you could find out and then talk him through it.

If he doesn’t have much RAM that could free up quite a bit of space on drive c, and if the canon software uses RAM/virtual memory as its temp storage it will force it to use drive d.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks PoloMint, I'll look into that as well.

PaulR