Can't connect to Microsoft update

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Hi all
I noticed recently that the red shield at the bottom of my screen was stating tha my autoupdate was turned off, so I clicked on it and set it to "on" but when I teurn on my computer on the next day,its off again. I did this again for a couple of days but it still goes off, so tonight I clicked on Microsoft update from the start menu but I cant get the Microsoft webpage up "internet explorer cannot display the webpage".
I can visit other websites no problem,my internet explorer seems to be working okay but recently on three or four occasions my computer suddenly gets stuck and I have to reboot it. I also can't get to the AVG website.
I am on windows xp and internet explorer.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
In view of what you have already said I recommend installing a completely different Antivirus scanner as some viruses exhibit that kind of hijacking of web addresses preventing you blocking the loophole it is exploiting. Or boot to safemode and scan using AVG

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Thanks.
How do I reboot in safe mode ? Was it F8 ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Zorba said:
Thanks.
How do I reboot in safe mode ? Was it F8 ?

F8 at post screen

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Okay, will try now.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Zorba said:
Okay, will try now.

Any success?, if not I would suggest installing something like A squared free, it may surprise you

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
And if that doesn't allow access, try the new Microsoft Security Essentials - let's see if Micrs**t can manage to block access to another of their own sites!

I binned AVG for MSSE a few weeks ago and am happy with it.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Tivù said:
And if that doesn't allow access, try the new Microsoft Security Essentials - let's see if Micrs**t can manage to block access to another of their own sites!

I binned AVG for MSSE a few weeks ago and am happy with it.

I have installed MSSE on 8 PC's since its launch and I have not heard any bad feedback at all, I will probably be using it myself when my Symantec bloatware subscription expires. I have not as yet though heard of MSSE catching a virus :)

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Topper said:
Any success?, if not I would suggest installing something like A squared free, it may surprise you
No, even in safe mode I cannot access any microsoft site. Or AVG or A squared free.
How come i can access all websites except ones that are for antivirus ?
Also I tried to do a system restore but do not have any dates befor 2/11/09 where did they all go ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As regards Restore Points, how far back they are kept depends upon how much space you have permitted System Restore to utilise.

So what you report may not actually be untoward - although having none at all before today's date seems unsatisfactory!

If you want to keep more of your recent Restore Points, simply Open up System Restore and select System Restore Settings then Disk Space Usage.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Zorba said:
No, even in safe mode I cannot access any microsoft site. Or AVG or A squared free.

You won't be able to do so in safe mode, but that was not what Topper suggested.

Can you access _www.majorgeeks.com ? You may be able to download useful stuff from there.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
CH is correct I was meaning to scan the HD in safe mode, however safe mode with networking should allow you to access the internet and get to the required site, it does however sound suspicious what has taken place

EDit indeed I am posting this edit in safe mode with networking so you should have access to get AV software

aileen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6800 HD. Now died. Protek HD 9750
Motorised 88 cm dish
Installed by Robbo
Mac computers
My Location
S E Kent
What a load of nuisance. Get a Mac and say goodbye to the hassle.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
A very quick test for conficker is here

_http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

Worth a go.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Wll, to be brief, i followed the advice from topper and started in safe mode. Still cant access windows update or AVG. Managed to install a free antivirus program from iobit and advanced systemcare free which are good scanners registry cleaners etc( found loads of malware,spyware stuff and got rid of it, but still cant get to windows update. found a help section which said to run services.msc and set to autoupdate and backgroumd intelligent transfer service and switch them on but still same problem.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
PaulR said:
A very quick test for conficker is here

_http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

Worth a go
Thanks. did the eye test and result is "Possibly Infected by Conficker A/B variant"
Now what I do ? And why didnt the antivirus programs see this ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Try some more tests such as _http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/conficker-removal-tool.html and _http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/conficker.html the McAfee page is worth reading for its information as well.

Unfortunately if you HAVE got Conficker then part of its nastyness is that it'll stop you conecting to some sites - as you might have already discovered! Anyay, see if you can get in.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
This site has a binary download link to overcome the limitations imposed by the virus

_http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/03/28/mcafee-conficker-removal-tool-stinger/

download the stinger and follow the instructions

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Thanks for the tips guys, but they all do the same thing. They give a link to sites which I can't access because of the virus.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
SUCCESS. I finally found a site that let me in with a free conficker removal tool which worked. It took 3 restarts which was part of the set up and my virus was gone. I immediately went to windows update and downloaded the updates. I even got to the AVG free site but not sure which is the best free antivirus program.Thanks to Topper,Paul R,CH and Tivu for sending me in the right direction.
What's MSSE like Tivu?
Should I name the site that works or will they end up on the conficker list ? Or if anyone wants to know they can PM me.