Can't Find 1 Satellite !!Help!!

stevienire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1000D + Moteck SG2100a + 85CM Dish
My Location
Northern Ireland
I am have alot of problems finding one Satellite. I'm setting up a motorised 65 cm minidish problem being I can not find Thor or any other Satellite for that matter. I have replaced every wire, I replace the lnb, I even changed the Satellite dish but my Satellite meter does not move, neither does the quality level on my Technomate receiver, it constantly stays at 0 and the signal constantly stays at 95%. I have the dish exactly 1west as I have used 2 compasses to check.

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
I'm no expert Stevie but have you made sure your cable from your receiver is going into the rec slot on the signal meter and the lnb into the lnb slot? I made this mistake once and wondered why I was getting nothing. Just a thought. Plus I thought a 65cm dish would not bring in many satellites in Northern Ireland, I live just outside Belfast and I need an 80cm dish, saying that I've tried the Lidl 45cm camping satellite system and got Astra 1 and 2 no bother, but I'd have thought you'd struggle to get others.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
1W has at least 5 assorted footprints firing off the 3 co-located satellites.

Any way you are wasting your time - a 65cm dish is going to be far too small for reliable reception of 1W in N Ireland. I only get a couple of tp with an 80 in SE Scotland.

stevienire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Yeah but I checked the dish size in the back of what satellite and there is 1 channel that requires a 50 cm dish in the North of UK so I should be able to get that. In saying that I can't even find Astra 1 or 2 either. I measured the dish it is actually 74 cm wide and 57 cm high.

I tried a 1 meter dish at the start of the week before the neighbours complained and still couldn't find anything on any satellite.

stevienire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Out of interest what is more important for signal, The height of a mini dish or the width?

J

Jeff_19341

Hi

Set it up on 5*west where you are m8 for your due south satellite. France TV 11591V, 20000, 2/3.
Or if you are even further west in the Emerald Isle you could try 8*west, Syria TV Channel on 12747H, 2894, 3/4.
The sun is about that azimuth some time about 1.30pm BST at the present time, the sun is slightly lower in the sky than the satellite arc.
PS. I understand that minidishes are oval in the horizontal plane to cut down the chance of picking up signals from other satellites that are close to where you are pointing it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
stevienire said:
Yeah but I checked the dish size in the back of what satellite and there is 1 channel that requires a 50 cm dish in the North of UK so I should be able to get that.

Not neccessarily - that may well be the required dish in the north of the uk maybe - you are far west though. Transmission strengths fall off rapidly as you go south and west, as the satellites are basically firing at Scandanavia..

stevienire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
I have finally managed to find something with my dish. I set it up for Atlantic bird and it can now find every sat on the west but can't find anything on the east. Any Ideas???

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Is there something blocking your line of sight?

Have you got the arc correct (azimuth and elevation)?

motorised.gif

http://www.klona.4t.com/v3.1/guide_eng/dbox-positioning.htm

stevienire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Nothing blocking site,I reckon if it was set correctly it wouldn't track the western sats perfectly. I can't get past 16e

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its not tracking the arc correctly. Which satellite have you set up for the "due south" position at thev top of the arc?

stevienire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Atlantic bird 5w. I'm just happy i'm picking up something although it was a bloody difficult task, 1 Millimeter out and you loss everything, at least with analogue the picture goes sparkly and u just adjust until you get a good picture, with digital you either get it or u don't