can't find 30W

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
I have a 1 Mtr Orbital fixed dish system that i rotate by hand to pick-up various satelittes. So far i have managed to find 28.2E, 19E, 13E, and 1W.
But no way can i find 30W......
There is a mains eletricity supply cable (well, 3 cables actually) running at about 70 degrees inclination from where the dish is pointed (when its 30W), Do you think this might be interfering with the signal from the satelitte? It could be that the signal is coming right between the 3 cables and therefore i am unable to receive it.... Or it might just be that i am not pointing at the right place in the heavens !!!!!!!!!!!
Can anyone tell me what the vertical setting should be on the orbital dish for 30W please? I assume it will be about the same as 28.2E, but lower than 1W,
Any help appreciated, I've been out all afternoon with a signal meter and freezing cold hands!!!! By the way, my coordinates are 51N and 1.20E
Thanx
Peter In the Bus

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It will be a tad lower than 28.2E, so lock up the elevation for 28,2 and then pan round to the west by just short of 60 degrees.

Also make sure that the LNb is skewed round to the opposite side of vertical from where you have it set for 28.2E.

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
Have tried that Rolf, but when I move the dish round to anywhere W of S the Sat Meter goes bananas. The needle moves on to full signal as if it has found a satellite, so i do the usual and turn the meter down, move the dish slightly to get best reading, but when i put my hand in front of LNB the signal goes back to full again!!!
I used the same technique for finding the other sats, and if i put my hand in front the signal went to zero....
I think it must be something to do with the overhead electric lines...
What do you think ???

Peter in the Bus

jackpeas

Reaction score
My Location
Chicago,IL
Hi peter, I am in the usa chicago,il.I am just tring find any sat after amc6 (w-6)72deg west tp 24. My system consist of 4dtv 922,monterey 95 rec,and spectralook spectrum analyzer.I am getting a good picture out ofit.I don'tknow how to read the analyzer.When I pass (w-6) I dont know where I am. Good luck in find your sat.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Certainly sounds like a power line problem Peter, have never tried to set up under power lines personally, so haven't experienced the problem.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The signals from powerlines can interfere with a broadband meter, as they may create a signal (noise) at a partcular frequency (even outside the usual Ku band ) , but swamp the useful signal for alignment.

A tuner in the receiver is less likely to suffer as it can filter out the unwanted noise through selectivity.

This doesnt help you set the arc though, I think the only way to get good settings on the west side may be to use the receiver and a television.

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
Thanks for the info, Channel Hopper. Looks like I might have to have a re-think on dish position...the thought of finding a satellite using just a receiver sounds like a nightmare...it's difficult enough when using a meter!!!

tedrud

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle England
Hi rolfw,I too have a problem getting 30w I use an 80cm dish now pionting at astra/hotbird with twin lnb,s I cannot get anything on 30w when i move my dish I was wondering what you mean by turn the lnb around,by the way I live in the NE of england
Many thanks Ted

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
When you look at the dish from behind the LNB Ted, the LNB will be skewed to say 5 O'clock when on Astra 28.2, it needs to be skewed to 4 O'clock to be correct for 30W.

tedrud

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle England
What about dish inclination does that remain the same, my lnb's are lined up slightly off horizontal at the moment wich I understand is correct for astra /hotbird,also (forgive me if i seem a bit thick-I AM) about how far round does the dish need to go.
Again many thanks Ted

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, are you using a monobloc LNB, two in one?

The dish will be pointing a little lower down for 30 west than it is for 19.2 and 13E, 30W will be found 50 degrees further round to the west.

tedrud

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle England
Yes i am using twin lnb's (monoblock) is that 50degrees as in a compass reading as that seems a long way to move the dish.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it is, nearly two thirds of a rightangle away from where the dish is pointing now. In fact, if 13E is your main focus, then it is almost exactly half of a rightangle.

tedrud

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle England
Again many thanks rolf M8 will give it a try tomorrow

jackpeas

Reaction score
My Location
Chicago,IL
I am finding sats but i can't Identify them.I an well pass p-9.Over 600 count away from w-6tp24.I have been using my Hutec fta receiver to try to Identify them.Every 32 count there is a sat. help help