My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci + 1000d super +
skystar 2 pci card
1M Motorised dish
Ivacon twin lnb
pc + laptop on network
My Location
uk
just let system up idte30 80cm dish matrix rev cam try searh cant find nothing is ther any settings i to change how do i no dish in right direction. live in soth uk

SMRGroup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ ×2, Humax PVR-9100, Force Frontier T90, Humax 0.3dB LNBs ×8, DiSEqC 4:1 switch ×2, Infinity Phoenix USB/serial smartcard programmer, Dragon CAM, ye olde Nokia SAT-1800 IRD (analogue)
My Location
Cheshire
pothead13 said:
just let system up idte30 80cm dish matrix rev cam try searh cant find nothing is ther any settings i to change how do i no dish in right direction. live in soth uk

Two things you need to point the dish in the right direction - a compass and an inclinometer, not only does your dish need to be facing the right way, it has to be at the right elevation angle (the amount of tilt up/down). The margin of error is small, especially with digital satellite. Point a TV antenna in "roughly" the right direction and you'll get something, do that with a dish and the chances are you'll get nothing at all.

Does your receiver have a signal level meter - two bars, signal strength and signal quality? What do they read?

pothead13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar 2 pci card
1M Motorised dish
Ivacon twin lnb
pc + laptop on network
My Location
uk
sory about spelling the level goes high but signel be low what do these settings mean dont seem to do much when move dish how do i know what the tilt should be?
so will i need a a compass and an inclinometer thought be able to move dish till get high level and quality
im am using a ntl cable will that effect it im want hotbird at mo untill get motor
i changed transponder and got high level 95% and quality 96% but when go to searh it just jumps up own dont stay at high level and quality realy confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The NTL cable should be fine, it is double screened water resistant and good quality.

You may well be on the wrong satellite, try a search on the near neighbour satellites.

pothead13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar 2 pci card
1M Motorised dish
Ivacon twin lnb
pc + laptop on network
My Location
uk
going give it another go in morning dark now. level goes high but signel be low what do these settings mean dont seem to do much when move dish how do i know what the tilt should be?
so will i need a a compass and an inclinometer(?) thought be able to move dish till get high level and quality

SMRGroup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ ×2, Humax PVR-9100, Force Frontier T90, Humax 0.3dB LNBs ×8, DiSEqC 4:1 switch ×2, Infinity Phoenix USB/serial smartcard programmer, Dragon CAM, ye olde Nokia SAT-1800 IRD (analogue)
My Location
Cheshire
pothead13 said:
going give it another go in morning dark now. level goes high but signel be low what do these settings mean dont seem to do much when move dish how do i know what the tilt should be?
so will i need a a compass and an inclinometer(?) thought be able to move dish till get high level and quality
You can move the dish around, but the spot in which the signal locks in can be very small and some digital receivers won't lock instantly so it's easy to go straight past a satellite without even knowing it.

If you point the dish using a compass and inclinometer, you should be in the ballpark and can then fine adjust manually. Tilt (aka skew) is the angle of the LNB, you can start with it as horizontal for Hotbird and then adjust it when you get a signal.

You can go here for a fairly good guide on where you should be pointing the dish: http://www.satlex.de/