ati radeon x850xt pci-e
creative audigy 2

2 250 gig harddisks in raid 0 array

nec 3540a dvd writer

liteon dvd rom
My Location
belfast
hi all
i am setting up motorized system, i have the card in my pc and the motor and dish mounted, i am following bronkings guide but i cant find thor 2,3 i have the dish point at 1 w but am getting no signal, i have turned and pointed at astra and got a signal so card ,lnb etc are working, am i outside the footprint for thor i live in belfast ? is there anyway of setting my system up with a different satellite ? and my last question on the dish there is a scale and according to the motor manual (sg2100a) i should set the dish to 30' minus declination angle which is 7.19', so i should have the scale on the dish set to 23', is this right.
thx spliffbizzie

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you live in Belfast, then your due South satellite is 5W http://www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html , you will be much better served trying to find that bird. 1W is only for those who live near that longitude.

spliffbizzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amd athlon 64 3500 2.2ghz

asus a8n-e mobo

ocz surepower 550 watt powersupply
2 gig cosair ddr 400 ram
ati radeon x850xt pci-e
creative audigy 2

nec 3540a dvd writer

liteon dvd rom
My Location
belfast
thanks rolfw, is that sat listed in progdvb under another name i cant see it in the list, and if i do find the sat i can then lock my motor because that will be it pointing due south ?

thx again rolfw

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
5W = Atlantic Bird 3 (and used to be Telecom 2C)

spliffbizzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

asus a8n-e mobo

2 gig cosair ddr 400 ram
ati radeon x850xt pci-e
creative audigy 2

nec 3540a dvd writer

liteon dvd rom
My Location
belfast
thx analoguesat i found it in prog dvb, but cant go to my dish as its raining and blowing a gale here, i have question about polar mount dish offset tilt tho, when i work out my angle which is 7 degrees, so if i set my dish at 90 degrees vertical, i either lean it back 7 degrees or tilt it forward 7 degrees and that should be it right ? i am going by bronkings diagrams in the other thread here

x=90-y therfore x=90-7 therfore x=83 degrees, so if i mesure the angle along the front of my dish as per bronkings diagram it should be 83 off the horizontal or 7 degrees of the vertical. sorry for all the questions but this is doing my nugget in.

thx spliffbizzie

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds far to complicated to me, just set the motor to your latitude, and then swinging the motor on the mast and moving the dish elevation up and down, slowly move it until you find 5W.

The declination angle is as would be read off of the dish scale, if it doesn't have one, then you can guess the approximate angle by subtracting the offset of the dish (if known), subtract that from the elevation of 5W from your location and it will give you the angle of the dish above the vertical.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The face of the dish should be more or less vertical. If its at any crazy angle, then you havent done your sums right.

spliffbizzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

asus a8n-e mobo

2 gig cosair ddr 400 ram
ati radeon x850xt pci-e
creative audigy 2

nec 3540a dvd writer

liteon dvd rom
My Location
belfast
rolfw said:
Sounds far to complicated to me, just set the motor to your latitude, and then swinging the motor on the mast and moving the dish elevation up and down, slowly move it until you find 5W

best advice i had all day , done just that and got 5w

analoguesat said:
The face of the dish should be more or less vertical. If its at any crazy angle, then you havent done your sums right.

yep exactly right analoguesat, me sums were well off, now that i got me sums right and with rolfw advice had it in no time, signal strengh 80 and quailty 100, but i am having a another problem now with the ssdiseqc plugin i have posted it in the pc card section, thanks a million gents now that i have 5w i know i will get it sorted with a little more time.

thx fellas spliffbizzie