Can't get German Eurosport on Astra

stevew66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Analogue metronic original box
My Location
UK
Hi
As the Analogue eurosport internation was shut down I bought a Ross disk and decoder from B +Q.

I have set it up and pointed it in the same direct as my old dish but i am not getting anything. When I scan for channels the highest signal i get is 40% (most are about 25%). I've tried both the new and old dish (which has a universal LN:cool: but no difference.

Also to set up the old dish I used a satellite finder and this worker very well. But when I try to use it I get nothing (on the analogue system even if you where way off you could still turn up the gain and get something).

The settings I'm using are
Astra 1H/1L/1
Lnb type Universal
LNB low 9750
LNB high 10600
22Khz Auto
DisEqc Disabled
LNB Power ON

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Steve

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
All you really need is to put a new LNB on the old dish and that will work fine for digital

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The OP says that the old dish already has a universal LNB on it so, assuming that the original dish hasn't become misaligned since the analogue switch off, that one at least should be working.

VKSEM

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6900 super combo, motorized and oval dish
My Location
London
Sounds like dish is out of position , installed simular bos Labgear and changed lnb but no signal , so had to re aligned the dish .:cool:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well if the old dish was working up until analogue switch off, it should be aligned.

stevew66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi
The old dish had a universal LNB on it but I bought a complete set up and first set it up with the new dish and new universial LNB. I aligned the dish by attaching it to the same stand and pointing it in roughly the same direction and elevation as the old one. As this didn't receive anything I then tried with the old dish and it's LNB.

As I said previously have moved house a number of times over the past five years and each time used a satellite finder to fine tune the alignment. This was from Maplins has a needle and audible alarm. I just set the gain so the needle is in the middle, adjust the dish until it moves as far as it can to the right, turn down the gain to the centre position and repeat the process until I get a good signal stength with very little gain. However, even with the gain turned to maximum the needle sits at zero.

Steve

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You could have a fauty meter, but check the obvious,

You have it connected the right way round
There is voltage being supplied from receiver to meter
There is voltage out of the other side of the meter to the LNB.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Regardless of the satellite meter and the new dish the old dish has not been altered since analogue finished. It already had a universal LNB on it that worked for analogue so should work for digital.

Can you borrow another digital receiver to check your old dish? Alternatively, or as well, could you take your digital receiver round to someone's house that has a proven working setup for digital 19E and plug your box in there? You may find that you have a faulty receiver straight out of the packaging - not unknown.

There is a slight possibility that your new box is incompatible with the LNB on your old dish. It's rare but that would then be shown up by trying your new box elsewhere.

Finally, take a look at the F plug on the end of the co-axial lead to the old dish. Check that the centre copper wire hasn't been bent over and is not too long or too short - it should just protrude a fraction. Check also for the tiniest whisper of copper wire from the braid shorting across to the centre wire.

You could also reconnect, temporarily, the analogue receiver as I believe that there are still some closing cards being transmitted in analogue - there is another thread about that here.

stevew66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi

I pulled everything apart and then put it back together.
There must have been a problem with the cable ends. Triming these off and refitting gave me a sign strength of 99%, a little tweaking of the dish alignment and i now have a great picture.

Thanks for all the advice.

Steve

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
*ahem*
PaulR said:
Finally, take a look at the F plug on the end of the co-axial lead to the old dish. Check that the centre copper wire hasn't been bent over and is not too long or too short - it should just protrude a fraction. Check also for the tiniest whisper of copper wire from the braid shorting across to the centre wire.
Good you got it sorted. Sometimes the fault is something so obvious we just can't bring ourselves to check it.