cant get sky signal

claytonstarbar

Reaction score
Hi ive just installed a sky digi box to my old 80cm dish with unervasal LMB & all i can get on the sky box is no signal is being received, i get a strong signal @ the LMB but it might not be pointing @ the correct satellite, i have tried a few but no joy, also do i need a viewing card to see any picture as i dont have one thanks for any help you can give.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, so where is the dish pointing, what were you receiving last time a receiver was connected? If it was Sky analogue, then you will need to move the dish 10 degrees or so to the East and down a couple of degrees as well.

claytonstarbar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, the dish was last pointing @ astra analogue satellite, ive moved the dish all over the place get loads of signals but the sky box still says no signal being received, do i need a card to get a picture ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No you don't, but if you still have the analogue box, you would be better off by finding Astra 19.2 again, connect the digibox, go to services,4, signal strength and then slowly moving East and downward (the dish face on the average offset 80cm will be near vertical).

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
How do you know you're getting a strong signal at the LNB if the digibox itself is reporting no signal? Are you using a separate meter on the LNB? Or do you mean that one of the two bars on the digbox's signal test (the signal strength bar) is registering something while the other (the quality) is registering nothing?

If you have a strong signal strength but no quality then there is indeed a good chance you're pointing at the wrong satallite.

Note that unlike an analogue receiver, a digital receiver typically takes a few seconds to lock onto a signal. So a steady continuous sweep of the arc will not usually work. You need to make minute adjustments, waiting between each one for a few seconds to give the box chance to lock on.

Are you sure the LNB works ok? When was the last time you used it?

2old

claytonstarbar

Reaction score
Hi i do have a meter on the LNB, also i got the time & channels names on the digi box, the lmb was working fine the last time i used it few months back.

DISCOMAN

Reaction score
Website
www.funnydelight.com
My Location
UK
i had a similar problem when moving house recently. i put my dish up and pointed it in just about the right direction. eventually the box managed to download the epg (showing channel names and program details etc) but it still showed no signal being received and the on screen signal meters showed nothing. it was not until i down powered the box and rebooted it that it recognised the signal, strange being as i thought it was supposed to pick up on it instantly. :confused

anyway, it might help. move your dish around until the channel names appear, then downpower it, reconnect the power and leave it for thirty seconds before switching it on.

my box was a grundig btw.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
might also try to forcibly download the software, assuming you can get that particular signal.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Its still possible to set up your dish with only the Digibox, but it takes a while. Have you tetsed the digibox on another dish?