Can't receive Astra 19.2 DVB-S2 transponders

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
Hi,

I'm in Athens, Greece with a dish for Astra 19.2 and Hotbird (simple diseqc switch setup)

Strangely I cannot receive any DVB-S2 transponders, e.g:

Das Erste HD:
Transponder 11 ASTRA 19.2° Ost
Frequenz 11,362 GHz
Polarisation horizontal
Fehlerschutz FEC 2/3
Symbolrate 22 MSymbols/s
Übertragungsstandard: DVB-S2

All the normal channels have a good signal on my commander 8600hd DVB-S2 receiver (don't know the dish size but it's large enough to get a good signal for those channels)

There is really no reason why I shouldn't be able to get the HD channels.

The only thing I can think of is that the sat and terrestrial signals are on the same coax with a combiner/diplexer type thing. ("triax tv/sat combiner") Could this somehow block the DVB-S2 signal?

TIA for your help!

Martin

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Time to update your User Profile ............ according to that you are in London!

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
I am both in London and in Athens, not at the same time though :)

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
any ideas?

I think it might be a signal issue after all. I read somewhere that dvb-s2 requires a better signal. would a better lnb help?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
There's nothing exotic about the FEC or symbol rate, the only thing I notice is that Das Erste HD uses 8PSK. Can you get ZDF HD or Arte HD on the same transponder?

Try these other 8PSK channels in the clear

12574.25 H 22000 2/3
Sonnenklar.TV HD

10773.25 H 22000 3/4
Anixe HD
QVC HD Germany
HSE24 HD

11302.75 H 22000 2/3
Servus TV HD
Servus TV HD Deutschland

LODGER

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
40cm dish with comag sl45 receiver
My Location
London
You're lucky, I can't get Astra 19.2e at all...........not matter where I tweak the dish i can get only Hotbird.........tried everything.............is my receiver defective?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
LODGER said:
You're lucky, I can't get Astra 19.2e at all...........not matter where I tweak the dish i can get only Hotbird.........tried everything.............is my receiver defective?

when you have found hotbird move the dish slightly more to the left and raise it up a little.

astra 19e is a very strong signal so you should have no problems finding it.

on the receiver side you should be able to scroll though a list of satellites and select one to setup

LODGER

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
ta for reply wod, but i think ive tried everything...up down left right over and over, and find nothing but hotbird...........i have a tiny dish, less than 40cm, and in the past i used to get astra only, now i get hotbird only.....i tried deleting hotbird from receiver menu, but the result is now it just finds hotbird as usual and simply calls it astra19.2 :).......is there any way the receiver itself could be tweaked, ..........

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Doesn't matter what "it calls it" .............. the Receiver is dumb.

You can rename a simple "Satellite" to whatever you want.

So if you scan Astra 1 "Satellite" as listed in your Rx settings, but the dish itself is eg on Hotbird, then you will get Hotbird Channels showing up in your "Astra" list.

The best way to tell what Satellite you are actually receiving is to state a handful of received Channel names and refer to listings on Flysat, Lyngsat etc.

Or we can tell you!

LODGER

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Tiv� said:
Doesn't matter what "it calls it" .............. the Receiver is dumb.

You can rename a simple "Satellite" to whatever you want.

So if you scan Astra 1 "Satellite" as listed in your Rx settings, but the dish itself is eg on Hotbird, then you will get Hotbird Channels showing up in your "Astra" list.

The best way to tell what Satellite you are actually receiving is to state a handful of received Channel names and refer to listings on Flysat, Lyngsat etc.

Or we can tell you!

Ta Tiv, yes I've checked it out and It's definitely Hotbird im getting, plus the fact that all of my old favs have disappeared forever it seems, ........... :(........., I knew Astra very well, it was the very first satellite I ever found, and always my favourite...RTL, RTL2 . ARTE, SAT1, ARD, DSF,ORF,VOX,ZDF...ETC ETC...........those wonderful live concerts.......ahhhhhhhhh the good old days.................so, if it's not the receiver, then it must be some new obstruction in the line of sight.........come to think of it, a neighbours tree looks fuller now than it was.....the dish is low level and has to point towards that tree....it never caused any problem in the past, now perhaps its blocking the Astra signal and allowing the Hotbird one through loud and clear......:-ohcrap ............

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Line of sight problems are the most likely explanation, as you suggest - Are you able to lash up the dish temporarily in a position that definitely does have clear line of sight?

Just to prove the system, as it were.

LODGER

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Ta Tiv, yes i must try something like that before i do anything else...in the past i always fixed up my own dish with line of sight, but now perhaps i shall need someone else to do it, but as long as i know receiver is good, then i dont mind spending some dough to get my channels back.........first i must check out that receiver.........will report back:-righton

LODGER

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Just as im trying to get my astra 19.2 back, my comag sl45hdmi has gone totally dead...........i cant get a peep from it, its only 2 years old, what could it be....such a ting has not happened before........??????????????

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Remove the F connector (with power off!) at the back of the receiver, then see if it reboots when you turn the power back on.

If so, you've probably got a short on the cable, probably at the connector (Wisp of braid or something like that).

LODGER

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Ta tiv, i tried that, but its still dead as a dodo.........in desperation i bought another receiver from Lidl, a Silvercrest hdmi only £29.99, that one works great on the sky fixed roof dish at my advisers flat, and gets freesat......., but because of the monitor display its impossible to manually align my own tiny dish with it, so now i have no channels at all.............what was that old elvis song about Christmas? :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I have an SL65 and somewhere it has a Beeper function ................ when aligning, I connect the beep via RCA to my Amp and open the windows near the relevant dish.

Highly audible tuning indication.

Not sure if the later models have such a useful feature.

LODGER

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
thanks tiv, actually theres a signal strength indicator, in advisers flat it went green for astra 2, but here it stays plain red, not a tickle,but maybe im moving the dish too fast, or maybe its stuck on astra 2, when receiver turned on it always defaults to astra 2 and bbc 1 london.............i must keep tryin

LODGER

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
UPDATE

after so many years i think i know where the signal is, so decided to leave dish alone, and just attached another shorter aerial cable and got hotbird straight away...........sadly when original cable is hooked up again, channels disappear.........so unless i settle for hotbird in the conservatory instead of the lounge, i must check out the full cable..........:-doh2the answer is out there

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well diagnosed: Causes will be wear/abrasion if it drags across roof tiles; Water ingress at F connector; Physical damage caused by personal or builder misadventure.

Don't bother fault finding - simply renew the cable run in its entirety.