My Satellite Setup
SKY HD Pace Box
TV Link F140 Distribution Amp
Toshiba 42" 1080p TV
Yamaha RX-V565 Surround Sound Amp
Sony PS3
My Location
south west scotland
Why is it that when I'm recording certain channels on my foxsat HDR I am only able to watch/record a limited range of other channels? I can record 2 different channels at the same time and sometimes watch a certain third (depends on the channel you are recording). But it's never the one I want to watch.
I thought you were able to record any channel and watch any other channel on this freesat box that's why I bought it?
Have I set this up wrong?
I have a quad lnb with 2 cables plugged into my freesat box.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It sounds like your HDR thinks it's only got a single satellite LNB feed as this is exactly the same effect I have on mine - which definitely only has one LNB feed.

The first thing I would try is a reinstall. During the install process the machine tests the feed to see how many LNBs are connected. If it only finds one again then you'll have to look at your installation and check your connections etc.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hmm, not sure what you are asking.

If you can record two channels, but cannot always watch a third, this is normal, as you only have two tuners and four possible switchable states of each LNB outlet, so there is a fair chance that the third channel will cause a conflict.

sparkyman2009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD Pace Box
Toshiba 42" 1080p TV
Sony PS3
My Location
south west scotland
Will try that - thanks.

But I have seen 2 bars at the bottom of the screen with the signal strength and they are both the same. ie. the bars are red then amber then green. They look like they are both at full signal. Instructions for these are absolutely pants!!

sparkyman2009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD Pace Box
Toshiba 42" 1080p TV
Sony PS3
My Location
south west scotland
rolfw said:
Hmm, not sure what you are asking.

If you can record two channels, but cannot always watch a third, this is normal, as you only have two tuners and four possible switchable states of each LNB outlet, so there is a fair chance that the third channel will cause a conflict.

I can record 2 channels at the same time but the second channel is limited and depends what channel you are recording 1st .

I can record any 1st channel but the second channel I want to watch or record is limited as some of the the channel names in the guide list have lost their bold type which prevents you from either watching it or recording it.

Sorry if I'm not being very clear. Wee bit difficult to explain.

:-rofl2

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That's as PaulR said, the box thinks it only has one LNB connected. I sorted one the other day, it had been installed with a single LNB feed, but I added a second. I had to completely re-install the box for it to see and scan the second feed.

sparkyman2009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD Pace Box
Toshiba 42" 1080p TV
Sony PS3
My Location
south west scotland
Thanks to all.

Does that mean unplugging from the wall to reset or do I need to do something else.

The instructions on these machines are crap.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I had to go through the installation process again, there may be another way, but if there is, I was unable to easily spot it in the menus, as the initial setup process identifies how many tuners are connected.

Was this receiver installed with both feeds connected?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just a thought, have you got the two cables in the correct ports at the back of the receiver ?

The outlet for the TV is the centre one (which is a daft arrangement, but there you go).

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ah yes, the old loopthrough ploy, managed to connect that in error once myself.:)

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AB IPbox 9000HD & Humax Foxsat+ HD, and about to upgrade dish, dont know what for yet!
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK
My AB IPBox 9000HD does something similar. I can watch any channel while recording another one. I can also record any two at the same time. If I record two, the list of third channels available to watch shrinks to a few, I presume these are on the same multiplex as either of the first two that are in use. Sometimes, when the timers are set to record two different channels, and I am watching a third, when the latest recording is about to start, a banner comes up asking to change channel to the one specified in the timer, or it will record what I am watching. Complicated eh? :confused You soon get used to it!! By the way, there is two tuners, and a quad LNB, (two are in use here, one to sly, and one spare, for fiddling with Humping)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
That sounds correct for you. The original poster stated
I thought you were able to record any channel and watch any other channel
i.e. record one channel while watching another - you are recording two channels.

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AB IPbox 9000HD & Humax Foxsat+ HD, and about to upgrade dish, dont know what for yet!
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK
PaulR said:
That sounds correct for you. The original poster stated i.e. record one channel while watching another - you are recording two channels.

That is true, as I said in my first sentance. I took it further as I thought people might be interested. Did it give an idea to anyone?:confused