Can't use satellite dish as in listed building

paul wyatt

Reaction score
1. I am thinking about getting an LX2000 pipe antenna as the new flat that I have bought is in a listed building and doesn't allow satellite dishes. I want satellite so that I can watch sky TV etc. I am buying an expensive TV so I also want good reception thus good picture. I would have gone for cable as a good alternative but there is no cable in our area M20 8PY. Has anyone used the LX2000 pipe antenna?

2. Does anyone know of any other good alternatives to a satellite dish?

war head

Reaction score
saw a picture in a satellite mag recently where the guy had installed a standard sky digital dish INSIDE, facing a (closed) window. He reckoned it worked fine. Don't know if the window was double glazed or anything though. Worth a try as a last resort i suppose.

ha ha ha

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, internal dishes can work, but you need a conveniently placed window and a good quality dish.

The pipe antenna may not be the solution, but it is often possible to conceal a dish in the garden, on the roof or in other locations.

Can you give us any photos of the location and building?

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Theres a few options for disguising antennas..... Hiding them too......
I have heard about the pipe antenna, (None of it good tho) ...... I'm no expert mind

Find out if perhaps you could mount a dish on its back on the roof? ....... or maybe even do it anyways ....... I can't see em using a helecopter to keep an eye on ya........ Unless ya in Strangeways of course :-)

I saw an ad for a dish mounted inside a smoked plastic sphere thing...... I guess it depends on what design your area is

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
How about one of these. The actual dish is that half cube on the floor. The makers website can be found here.

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
cjgall said:
How about one of these. The actual dish is that half cube on the floor. The makers website can be found here.
I wonder if they do a 4 Meter Version O-Ha

Well I thought it was funny anyways ;)

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
I don't think they do. The reason they don't is because they seem to be targeting Dutch appartment owners, a 4 meters version would not fit through the lift doors.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I like the dish rock, I'm thinking of getting one and fit it on the roof so that it moves with the dish motor. That will get the neighbours thinking ...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hmm, an H to H boulder. ;)

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Surely you have all seen the moving boulder monsters on Dr Who....and there was a dish too.............what was her name?...........

F

FEBUS

My dish is located within my house and we get good 2D reception- I have full length windows with an unobstructed line of sight to the satelite. It will not pick up a signal through the double glazing though- so we have to freeze our particulars off on a cold night or horror of horrors (for my girlfriend and to my delight)miss eastenders- jobs a good 'un.