Car Problems(again) Diesel/fuel/starvation

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I need advice from an expert before parting with more cash

Citroen 1.9 turbo diesel engine (from a Xanthia I think). Fitted into a petrol BX by previous owner and conversion to all fuel lines done

A week ago coming back from Kettering I found that the top end reduced from about 80 to 70 to 60, but she got me home without any real problems. Two nights ago the car failed to get to 30 and then stalled at the lights. I took a few minutes to have a look under the bonnet and then started the car without real trouble.

A mile later and exactly the same thing happened.

1) I put it down to fuel starvation and so ordered a new fuel filter. No change.
2) Cleaned out the (plenum?) chanmber at the top of the injector system , which had some crud in it. No change.
3) Took the fuel pump out from under the rear wheel and ran it on a battery, seems to be fine.

4) Today Ive tried taking the pipes off the fuel tank to see if there is a blockage but got stuck on how to get the fuel out first (some anti syphoning system in place)
5) Blew down the tank inlet and found that there is quite a bit of pressure, even with the pump removed

Question - Should I first suspect the puel pump and look at a substitute before trying the tank lines ? I do not know what pressure these are supposed to be, nor how the car supplies a voltage to it (do these run all the time or only when the pressure in the injector system falls below a certain level?)
Is there a sensor that determines the pump flow and frequency ?

As with all Citroens I have to have the engine running to operate the hydraulics so I can get under her, so I dont want to take too much apart just in case I really have trouble in pumping the suspension back up again.

All advice greatfully received

PS I hate working under cars

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
:) I had a very simlar problem on a Cavalier years ago. The garage never fixed it after 3 goes and the AA refused to do a call out again. I went through the whole system and found a minute filter on the carb inles after removing the inlet union. Last year on my old Prarie I called out the RAC twice on a visit to sisters 100 miles away. The fuel filter was filthy, gave it a clean each time but it soon gummed up again. Om arriving home I asked a mechanic mate and he said dirty fuel. Emptied the tank, replaced the filter and flushed the line through. Fine since then. Could be either or water in the fuel for which I'm told, you can get an additive to evaopate it.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The original fuel filter wasnt exactly dirty or gummed up when I took her out, which is probably why the new one didnt make a difference.

It is strange that for the first mile or so at tickover the engine sounds fine, just once up to 30mph or so the engine starts 'hunting' and then dies. It could be water of course, but Im back to the question then of 'how to drain the tank'.

trickydick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m ch mast.
manhattan plaza 550
My Location
uk
I've had this trouble on my boat engine - a Ford based engine. this I solved by replacing the fuel pipe line, there was a slight leak - not enough to allow fuel out but enough to allow air into the pipeline under suction . Worth a check of all the unions?
trickydick

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi ChH
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I am not that familiar with the tank, but there should be a method of emptying it. Even if it means getting any 12v second hand fuel pump from the breakers (can't be too expensive) and pumping the fuel out from the filler with a thin hose attached. May take about 10 minutes or so, but will do. also, make sure the tank breather is not blocked, next time you have this problem go to the cap and open it. If you feel a lot of vacuum inside this could be the problem. I've seen a tank that was completely sucked in and ruined becuase of this!
Another problem with Diesel engines as you know is that if it is sucking air from somewhere it may cause problems...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
That could well be it. There has always been a slight drip of diesel from under the drivers door. Maybe the leak has got to the point where it needs closer inspection

Thanks, Ill have another look tomorrow

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
When I started reading the thread my first thought was air getting in. What you say about a fuel drip certainly makes it a distinct possibility.

You couls also try registering on www.dieselcar.com for their forum. Although hosted by the magazine it's pretty much left alone by the magazine bods and there are some really helpful folks there.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Since the weather tomorrow looks acceptable Im going to take the plunge, but Im not looking forward to removing sill covers and all the other crap that goes with it.

Will report back on the findings.

Just in case its not the cause, what are diesel injectors like to take out and clean ? I used to do it regularly on a VW Scirocco GTI without trouble but they were held in with rubber grommets, the Citroen ones look more substantial with massive nuts on them, as well as being shrouded by the intercooler.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Channel Hopper said:
Since the weather tomorrow looks acceptable Im going to take the plunge, but Im not looking forward to removing sill covers and all the other crap that goes with it.

Will report back on the findings.

Just in case its not the cause, what are diesel injectors like to take out and clean ? I used to do it regularly on a VW Scirocco GTI without trouble but they were held in with rubber grommets, the Citroen ones look more substantial with massive nuts on them, as well as being shrouded by the intercooler.

:) There is often a drain bolt on tanks but be warned, more drains out than the fuel gauge shows.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
TJExcalibur said:
:) There is often a drain bolt on tanks but be warned, more drains out than the fuel gauge shows.

No drain bolt, but I doubt I need to remove fuel to clean out injectors. The fuel line and return from the injector pump should have one way valves (if not the pump itself) to prevent spillage ?

I think there is only 2 gallons at most anyway.