cashcard looked dodgy

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I opened up a cash card account with Barclays over a week ago. It's a simple account, no strings, no bells and whistles; just a simple pay cash in, draw cash out, direct debits, etc.

Funny thing was when I got my cashcard it didn't have a metal square on the front. The card had a mat finish and even the black strip on the back was mat. I thought it wouldn't work at the cash machine, and it didn't.

When I rang Barclays -- I was put through to the Indian branch. Took some time for me to explain what was wrong with the card. They finally got it and said, all Barclays cards should have the gold metal sqaure on the front and an oblong metal piece. Even cashcards. Mine had neither, but they couldn't explain how I got that card in that "unfinished" condition.

Can someone here explain...? Cheers. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Perhaps the application you made was to somewhere other than the genuine bank. How did you make the application, was it on-line, if so then it sounds like a scam to me. All new credit and debit cards have to be chip and pin as from April of this year in the UK.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Thanks for the reply. The application was made at the bank, but the card and pin came in the post. I'll look into it, thanks. :)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Apparently the Barclay card doesn't need a chip. Got the new one today, looks exactly like the other one.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
I would take it to the branch and show them..

Pay cash in.. oops cant draw it out.. find out the account no on the card is someone elses whos taken your money.. Dodgy world we live in :(

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Saturlight said:
Apparently the Barclay card doesn't need a chip. Got the new one today, looks exactly like the other one.

It is not going to get much use then, perhaps just to take cash out using an ATM hole in the wall.:-doh!

Seems a waste producing a card that can only be used as a cash card and nothing else, I have had a combined one for about 6 years now

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Thanks for the replies, mates. :) Yeah, you can use it at the ATM, that's all. I've got it now, but I wouldn't recommend these cards. Like you say, its use is very limited. But you can buy food and drink with it. Can't use it as a debit card, nor for Internet shopping. :)