Cassette stuck in VCR

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
You know how the mechanism leaps out at you and tries to drag your hand inside as you offer it a cassette. Well the cassette went in and partly down and I can't get it to budge either way. I removed the casing but it didn't improve access to the inside of the mechanism much. I need hand holding before I dare dismantle any further (memories of that clockwork watch I once dismantled out of curiosity and hair springs shot everywhere :-doh! ).

Model: Mitsubishi HS-M58V

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi Artist

That model uses the 'J Deck' cassette mechanism.

I have the assembly/disassembly instructions in a file (openable in a picture viewer)

You're on your own with this one m8 - I've never done a Mitsubishi, but apparently it's a common fault with this model.

Llew

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
I have had a problem with a Panasonic NV-HS950 recorder.

The cassette mechanism has skipped a few teeth while taking in a cassette.

This has happened before and has cost me a repair bill each time (£60).

Is it something that can be realigned at home?

Thanks

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Llew said:
Hi Artist

That model uses the 'J Deck' cassette mechanism.

I have the assembly/disassembly instructions in a file (openable in a picture viewer)

You're on your own with this one m8 - I've never done a Mitsubishi, but apparently it's a common fault with this model.

Llew
Blimey Llew, is there anything you don't know about?
Downloading your file as I write this.
Spiney will probably pop up in a minute! :D

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
gameboy said:
I have had a problem with a Panasonic NV-HS950 recorder.

The cassette mechanism has skipped a few teeth while taking in a cassette.

This has happened before and has cost me a repair bill each time (£60).

Is it something that can be realigned at home?

Thanks

Hi GB. This model uses the 'K' deck.

I've repaired one or two of these before with a jammed cassette, they're a bugger to work on with this fault as you can't get at the screws to remove the mechanism in the normal way, although there are a couple of methods, one using an external supply to operate the loading motor.

The carriage connection gear has to be aligned correctly with the cassette carriage gear - you have to rotate the gear by hand so that it fits correctly with the carriage gear.

Llew

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Videos ?????????????Are they still about.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Yes, I've popped up ......

Llew's the expert here, I have no experience of Panasonic VCRs.

However, in general, if the cassette gets stuck, it's usually possible - after getting access - to operate the load/unload mechanism by hand, usually it's a large flywheel, apparently some Pannys have a worm gear wheel that easily breaks!

Maybe help at: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/vcrrx.htm#vxrcp (scroll down to Pannys). Also: www.fixer.com .

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Thanks guys - will try these solutions.

Yes, I still sometimes watch videos - but not since the cassette loaded went :-doh!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
So, erm, is it just me that hammers and rips the buggers apart when a tape gets stuck??? O-Ha

*thinks about the Goodmans VCR that ate & snapped my Red Dwarf Smeg Ups tape 'O'-red*