CCTV advice what to install etc,

A

Archive-8

The critters the spiders eat love the IR so they have to build the web there. Last year I cleansed the camera and by the time I had got back in. Another had started to build.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
and by the time I had got back in. Another had started to build.

That's why I was tempted to turn the spider into a pancake, but luckily for it, the spider was sat above the door lintel right out of my reach.... :-rofl2

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I'm fitting it on behalf of the customer, they don't know how bad it is yet.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
I'm fitting it on behalf of the customer, they don't know how bad it is yet.

A good way to see how bad it is is just to hook it up directly to a laptop with a crossover cable (with the green and orange pairs swapped at one of the cable), that's what I did to test and set up my camera... :)

A

Archive-8

All I can really add to that is on 1 lot of the criminal damage I had at my property was captured on cctv.

This was handed in to my local police station along with a statement.

This was enough for them to identify the perpetrator as someone they were after as he was on the run for more serious offences.

When they did catch him I had to take part in an id parade. ( now done by video )

So when he went to court, he was sentenced for the other crimes as well as mine.

His solicitor got all the sentences to run concurrently. But he got 24hrs in custody for the criminal damage and a 365 days for the other crimes.

So CCTV can really help.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
All I've caught on my camera is some fat bloke with a laptop in my shed, turned out it was me... :-rofl2

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
All I can really add to that is on 1 lot of the criminal damage I had at my property was captured on cctv.

This was handed in to my local police station along with a statement.

This was enough for them to identify the perpetrator as someone they were after as he was on the run for more serious offences.

When they did catch him I had to take part in an id parade. ( now done by video )

So when he went to court, he was sentenced for the other crimes as well as mine.

His solicitor got all the sentences to run concurrently. But he got 24hrs in custody for the criminal damage and a 365 days for the other crimes.

So CCTV can really help.
Good result Chris, job done...the CCTV was basically the only evidence I had apart from my pages of events but the cases were won on the video/pics I supplied to the court.

The cameras are a quiet piece of mind really but in todays era I think we need assistance in whatever to prove events....many folk think they are an invasion of privacy but if you are doing no wrong the cameras also prove that!

Enjoy your weekend. respect-048.gif

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
many folk think they are an invasion of privacy but if you are doing no wrong the cameras also prove that!

The ones who complain about them being an invasion are often the ones being caught out on camera doing things they shouldn't be... :D

A

Archive-8

image.jpg image.jpg
The white one is the newer model of the black one.

Both have a microphone and speaker built in to them. And through the app I can get audio both ways :-)

And as you can see they are located inside my property. So no chance off recording speech I am not supposed to do.

I can tell however what radio station they are listening to, when they think I am not here. :-)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Plenty of those here:

Code:
http://www.dx.com/s/tenvis

Loads of cameras there to be honest, even one that looks like (but may not be the same inside as) my camera:

Code:
http://www.dx.com/p/my103-water-resistant-cmos-1280-x-720p-led-ir-night-vision-p2p-onvif-ip-camera-white-eu-plug-352197#.VT01xBgsHfI

Seems I've had issues today, but not a camera fault, seems the D-Link DIR-615 Rev.D4E router I've used as a bridge (using DD-WRT firmware) crapped out on me today, not sure if that was the router itself (E.G. CPU not happy) or the firmware corrupting, but I've had to swap it out with my spare DIR-615 Rev.D2 to restore network connectivity for the camera, may have to invest in a dedicated bridge...

A

Archive-8

All my cameras are hard wired, as I have had major lag over wireless. :-(

But now it's hard wired I get faster speeds. Plus it now let's me use the ftp function to save a photo to the nas.

The cameras in the Dorset property ftp back to the nas in Somerset.

That way I have a central location. Plus it adds to the security. So if someone did get in to the Dorset address the pictures are stored elsewhere.

The Somerset property is where I am most times. Plus it's got over the top locks/alarm/lights/cameras & me and the dog.

And at any location I am, as long as I have my phone I get an alert, so I can react.

Plus wemo light sockets allow me to turn inside lights on and off to suit.

At the back of the Somerset property is a major car park where our caravan utilising nomadic travellers have parked up many times. So the police have had installed 4 more cctv cameras to keep an eye on the car park.

Shop watch views them. So with a scanner I can at least get a heads up!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
All my cameras are hard wired, as I have had major lag over wireless. :-(

I wanted to have my camera wired, but there were a couple of issues, first of which is I think there's asbestos panels (that's what it looks like to my eye) in the kitchen ceiling which is under my floor, so drilling up through there is a firm no, and going outside is a tad difficult as my ladders aren't tall enough to reach the right places... :-doh

The WiFi works fine for me though (when my router(s) aren't conking out on me!!), but I am only running the one camera at the moment, if I add more I may have to set up something else to deal with the extra bandwidth required, but for now it'll do... :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I've forgot my password to get in to the dvr:-doh. I presume there's a way to reset it ?

A

Archive-8

I've forgot my password to get in to the dvr:-doh. I presume there's a way to reset it ?
Sorry for the delay in answering you, just got of the phone with my auntie.
My uncle died last week.

What username do you use? Is it admin or another one? As some of these units have "back doors"

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Sorry about the loss Chris :( my Regards pal.

I swapped it to admin as recommended Chris, I will have a look through the manual tomorrow

A

Archive-8

Thanks mate:-). If the unit has use on it you can also go in to the menus and set it that way.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks Chris, the unit is upstairs atm and no tv up there and its not Etherneted up so I will have to bring it downstairs to take a look, I will let you know the outcome when I find the time to look :)

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Talked to a neighbour, he has two web cams installed in bird's nest boxes, blue tit and tawny owl, watching them hatch. He has dlink cameras and likes them because they offer their customers free cloud storage. Might be a good feature for some if the burglars steals your nas. The ones he had wasn't weather protected so he needed additional enclosures for them.