CFL versus filament lamps

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Considering the soon-to-come replacement of filament lamp bulbs by compact fluorescent bulbs in the UK, as ruled by the EU, I can see some problems ahead if this is not carefully thought over.

We all know the advantages economically of CFLs, but the practicality may be a different story.

On a personal level, I have changed over to CFLs where practical, but have come up against one or two problems :

They won't fit in some of my lamp shades, particularly the metal 'downlight' holders, being too bulky. I have a fairly expensive three-lamp fitting that would have to be replaced unless I can source a slimmer type of CFL (haven't found one yet).

They take a minute or two to achieve maximum brightness. This may be a hazard when used on a landing, particularly in an old or infirm person's home where the stairs may be ill-lit during that minute they are walking up or downstairs. Can't see them paying for additional light fixtures and wiring for better illumination.

Most CFLs at presently available will not function properly with a dimmer switch. Those that will are I understand are very expensive.

They contain mercury. Hazardous if broken.

Do not like being switched on and off regularly.

Hopefully some of these negatives may be addressed by the lamp manufacturers or government before the filament lamp ban.

Llew

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
If you want instant but low-wattage dimmable lights to replace Incandescents, just get some LED bulbs, they usually come in halogen replacements but there's a few variations appearing to fit bayonet and Edison screw fittings. One example is the GU-10-type LED bulbs, there's a few here:

_http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.php?cPath=50&osCsid=b8b2ead32a21fda1c6fd897515d6c930

But of course you want ES or BC lamps:

_http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.php?cPath=46&osCsid=b8b2ead32a21fda1c6fd897515d6c930

Ok, they're not cheap, but last for ages and ages and ages and ages.........

:D

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
We normally put in energy saving bulbs in every new installation which we do, but sometimes, as forementiones, the bulbs are just to bulky, lets hope manufacturers work to make these bulbs smaller and brighter faster.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
I bought a Philips compact BC Energy Saving Bulb a few years back and the base was very slim compared to the normal ESB's, However, it took it about 2 to 3 seconds to actually light up, whereas the 3 pack of "Status" BC ESB's I got when I moved into my current house light up instantly, unfortunately, I dropped the Philips one and it shattered so got binned last summer, so I haven't got a clue of it's model name.... :(

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
I dropped the Philips one and it shattered so got binned last summer, so I haven't got a clue of it's model name.... :(
So that's why you are moving then, to escape the mercury, poisoning the atmosphere where you are currently living;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
So that's why you are moving then, to escape the mercury, poisoning the atmosphere where you are currently living;)

Nah, I'm moving cos my bar steward landlord's selling my house, the only trouble is I haven't found a new house to move to yet!!! :(

As for poisoning the atmosphere, all I need to do that is eat Weetabix!!! :-rofl2

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If anyone is interested in these energy saving bulbs, Morrisons are doing a buy one get one free on Philips 11w and 18w ones on sale at 99p.

2 for a pound is a bargain (other places sell them for £3 each), I got some of the 18w ones last time they did this offer, after a few mins they are quite a bit brighter than a 60w bulb, but not sure if they are the same as the 100w they claim to be.