Change the lnb on a cassegrain dish?

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
My neighbour has an old Philips gregorian offset dish with additional feedhorn type of lnb.
Now he want's to change to a universal lnb,but would this really be possible?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Easy, you have the orginal Philips Gregorian feedhorn right? it's actually a Fibo Norweigan dish sold to many other companies.

Just buy the MTI AP8 C120 LNB and fit it to it, it's the best performing LNB for this type of dish.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Likvid said:
Easy, you have the orginal Philips Gregorian feedhorn right? it's actually a Fibo Norweigan dish sold to many other companies.

Just buy the MTI AP8 C120 LNB and fit it to it, it's the best performing LNB for this type of dish.
Thank's Likvid,but would it be possible to get rid of the Philips feedhorn and fit a common universal lnb (cheaper),if he finds the focal point and gets it right adjusted?
By the way mechanical work is no problem for him.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In order to save a small amount of money, he will almost certainly lose performance, much much better to use the matched feedhorn with the MTI or in fact any other C120 LNB.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Wouldn't recommend getting rid of the Philips feedhorn as it is specially designed for that dish and fitting a LNB with integrated feedhorn would lower the performance.

Just buy a C120 LNB like the MTI AP8 and you will have excellent results.

steffan_st said:
Thank's Likvid,but would it be possible to get rid of the Philips feedhorn and fit a common universal lnb (cheaper),if he finds the focal point and gets it right adjusted?

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Look what this guy has done with his 55 cm Fibo,
h**p://satlex.de/en/satcom_gregory-pic_1.html

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I know that guy, why he did like that was because at the time there was no available C120 LNBs on the market so he had no choice.

Why don't you want to keep the original Philips feedhorn? money reason?

Check this picture how it should look like after you bought the C120 LNB.

Fibo90_Invacom_SNF031.JPG

steffan_st said:

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Seen that splendid Norwegian homepage Likvid,my neighbour now has a Gibertini 100cm just like mine,do you think he would get a better performance with the Philips gregorian 95cm than with the Gibertini 100?

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Gibertini gain 39.4,Fibo gain 40.0

And how can you compare these efficiency figures?
Gibertini claims 70% efficiency and for the fibo there is two different figures:
80% (based on 55cm aperture diameter)
73.3%(based on real surface)

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Fibo is higher, actually the real gain of the 90cm Fibo is 40.9dBi

Fibo is world-class performance, it works nearly as good as a good 1.2m Offset dish, i would say it performs like a really good 1.1 meter dish.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
However the Fibo dish doesn't justify the higher cost for just a bit of extra gain.

I would buy a Channel Master 1.2meter Offset dish instead, it's cheaper and performs better than the Fibo.

steffan_st said:
Seen that splendid Norwegian homepage Likvid,my neighbour now has a Gibertini 100cm just like mine,do you think he would get a better performance with the Philips gregorian 95cm than with the Gibertini 100?

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Thank's but now I'm rather confused,my friend already has the fibo in his basement so he only has to buy the lnb,but the question is if it will perform better than the 100cm Gibertini?!?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes it will perform better than the Gibertini 100cm, i already told you that the Fibo performs almost like a good 1.2m dish, more like 1.1m to be honest or something between.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Likvid said:
Yes it will perform better than the Gibertini 100cm, i already told you that the Fibo performs almost like a good 1.2m dish, more like 1.1m to be honest or something between.
Thank's for your help Likvid,I'm a newbie on these kind of dishes and the external feedhorn kind of LNB:s but now things starts to clear up a little.

If this works good for my neighbour i might get a Fibo myself!

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes, they are not cheap, i paid €400 for mine, it was the 90cm.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Likvid said:
Yes, they are not cheap, i paid ?400 for mine, it was the 90cm.
What! Can't believe that,is it gold plated or what? My friend got his second hand one for a couple of hundred skr.
Actually we throwed one 90cm away a couple of weeks ago just because the painting was a bit bad and the lnb was missing!(not joking now)

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
No my Fibo was brand new sealed in the box.

But it was expensive anyway, agree.

I could have bought myself a Channel Master 1.2m instead and saved some money but i got limited space as a live in an apartment and the balcony is so small that i can't fit anything larger than 90cm.

I wish i could have my own house again so i can put up my Channel Master 2.4 meter dish that i got in my brothers garage.

steffan_st said:
What! Can't believe that,is it gold plated or what? My friend got his second hand one for a couple of hundred skr.
Actually we throwed one 90cm away a couple of weeks ago just because the painting was a bit bad and the lnb was missing!(not joking now)

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Well,now we have to find a way to fit the Fibo on the DiSEqC 1.2 motor but that shouldn't be too much of a problem I hope.

By the way where did you buy the new Fibo Likvid? Haven't seen it in too many webshops.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Do you want to buy my Fibo 90cm?

I am thinking of selling it if you are interested, it is brand new still left in the original packaging and it comes with the original Fibo H-H mount with the motor.

Everything is brand new!

You can PM me if you are interested.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Likvid said:
Do you want to buy my Fibo 90cm?

I am thinking of selling it if you are interested, it is brand new still left in the original packaging and it comes with the original Fibo H-H mount with the motor.

Everything is brand new!

You can PM me if you are interested.
No thank's Likvid,too expensive for a "smålänning". My neighbour has 3 of them in his basement and he says I can borrow one of his until I find a second hand Fibo.

Just ordered 2 MTI AP-8 TW very cheap from Germany so I guess we will test the Fibos next weekend to see if they are as good as you and others say.

Why aren't you satisfied with it? Not good enough on your balcony?