Advice Needed Changing 36V actuator

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+Duo, Vu+Duo2, Vu+Zero, Gibi 1.5m, TBS 6903 PCI
My Location
North West UK
I currently have a Super Power Jack HARL 3618 moving my 1.5m Gibertini dish. In the last few days it has started to make a rough grinding noise when moving, so I am keen to replace it before it goes altogether.

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to change these over without having to mess about reseting the Vbox positions? I was thinking of swapping it over to an 18" genuine powerjack.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hmm I think it would easier to store the Vbox settings for a new jack rather than trying to match up spec and mounting points of your existing.

Also there's no genuine power jack - you want a genuine SuperJack. Actually you want something better than that like Venture or Thomson but these are priced appropriately...

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
Sorry, it was a typo I meant superjack. Price isn't a consideration really, so I will look into the other makes you mentioned. So basically its a case of fitting a new one and start from scratch?

Thanks

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
What ive done in the past is lock the dish off with a length of wood and mole grips, then put the new and old actuator side by side fit the new clamp in the same position then wind the actuator tube to the same length as the old one then install it,

You will only have to slightly nudge and save at the worst.

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
Thanks, I'll give it whirl, just trying to minimise the amount of tinkering I need to do so as not to get on the wrong side of SWMBO ;)

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Thanks, I'll give it whirl, just trying to minimise the amount of tinkering I need to do so as not to get on the wrong side of SWMBO ;)

No problem, just brace across and fix the brace at each end g clamps mole grips whatever you have, it wont be far out just a nudge and save at each satellite if necessary.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
drats,

If you are looking at buying a Venture actuator you will probably have to order one from the USA, there seems to be no UK or Europe based suppliers. You might find one or two other forum members who may be interested in a small group buy? Shipping from the USA for these is quite expensive for a single unit, it gets cheaper if there is a multiple buy.

Rgds

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
Yes, I couldn't find anywhere in the country that stocks them. They do look a serious bit of kit too!

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yes, I couldn't find anywhere in the country that stocks them. They do look a serious bit of kit too!

If you create a mini group buy topic for importing some from the USA you might get an idea if there are any other members interested?

Rgds

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I currently have a Super Power Jack HARL 3618 moving my 1.5m Gibertini dish. In the last few days it has started to make a rough grinding noise when moving, so I am keen to replace it before it goes altogether.

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to change these over without having to mess about reseting the Vbox positions? I was thinking of swapping it over to an 18" genuine powerjack.

drats,

Instead of a linear actuator you could try looking around for a second hand Jaeger 1224 H-H motor? The Gibertini 1.5m is only a small light dish and a Jaeger 1224 will easily cope with it. There have been a few rare occasions where brand new Jaeger 1224 motors have popped up, however, they are snapped up very quickly and go for good money as they are a very popular motor with enthusiasts.

Rgds

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
Thanks for that moonbase, but the dish gets hit by some savage winds that get funneled through 2 buildings. Ive been out and had a look at it today and there is a lot of play in the arm, that wasn't there when it was fitted, so I think it may be the gearing that is worn. I may just get a heavy duty actuator just to be on the safe side.

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Thanks for that moonbase, but the dish gets hit by some savage winds that get funneled through 2 buildings. Ive been out and had a look at it today and there is a lot of play in the arm, that wasn't there when it was fitted, so I think it may be the gearing that is worn. I may just get a heavy duty actuator just to be on the safe side.

Hi drats, the actuator you've been using are clones from China they last about 12 month usually, get a good quality ball screw actuator and it will last for years.

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
Yes, and you are very correct, it has lasted 18-24 months. I didn't realise at the time it was a cheaper copy.

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
Damn that exchange rate :-doh

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
Just been out in the garden and had a quick measure up and the 24" one wont fit as my dish is inverted so sits low to the ground. 18" is the maximum, and they don't have one.

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
If your ok with tinkering drats, you could buy a ball screw feed screw and install it in a cheap unit, what ive found over the years its the cheap feed screw the jam up/develop play, not much to go wrong with the motors,

Its a bit of messing about but it does give you a half decent unit, its only a straight swap of the motor if it was to totally go, the ball screw will last for years.
Ball Screw | [ THK || Global English ]

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
Posted at exactly the same time there Lee :D