Changing between NTSC and PAL automatically

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
Hey all,

I currently have a Humax 9200 to record Freeview programs.

The problem I have is there is another satellite receiver which I would like to record from - its an NTSC signal so thats going to be an issue I think...? Also, it has to have an in buit RF Modulator as I am sending the signal upstairs........can anyone point me in the right direction??

I presume that I will have to buy another unit as I am sure there isnt a Freeview Recorder which can record from an external source!???

Thanks,

Nick

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some of the hard drive/DVD recorders may well have the option of NTSC.

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
rolfw said:
Some of the hard drive/DVD recorders may well have the option of NTSC.

Its a shame there isnt one machine that can record both Freeview and an external source - I think its crazy that none of them do that! For instance my Humax 9200 would be ideal if it also recorded from a satellite feed!

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
Hi,
I have been having a nightmare trying to find a DVD/HDD recorder that can record both NTSC and PAL - there are a few such as the Panasonics. However - I need one that will automatically change between NTSC and PAL........
An example being - if I go out and want to record at 6pm from Freeview/PAL and then 9pm from my satellite receiver/NTSC then I wouldnt obviously want to rush home at 8pm to change the settings from PAL to NTSC.......I would spend my life in the menu changing this all the time.
If anyone knows of any that will automatically change between the 2 then please let me know.....?
The other option is to buy an NTSC converter......something between the satellite receiver (NTSC) and HDD recorder that would change the signal from NTSC to PAL60 or whatever...........this I think would be expensive though!
Thanks

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Hi Nickbrace,

To be fair, if you have the facility and money to record NTSC (so last year, LOL) - in MK - I would simply say double-up on the kit?

It would be asking quite a lot for any piece of kit to do two standards at once. At the last Post-Production house I worked for - even the $250,000+ kit was duo standard, but not at the same time ???;)

If cheap consumer kit can do what you require - have two:D

Have Fun,

Mark.

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
mljgmljg said:
Hi Nickbrace,

To be fair, if you have the facility and money to record NTSC (so last year, LOL) - in MK - I would simply say double-up on the kit?

It would be asking quite a lot for any piece of kit to do two standards at once. At the last Post-Production house I worked for - even the $250,000+ kit was duo standard, but not at the same time ???;)

If cheap consumer kit can do what you require - have two:D

Have Fun,

Mark.

The Panasonics will record NTSC fine but as I said I want it to automatically change between the two signals.........I have decided to buy a NTSC to PAL converter for my AFN Satellite Receiver so that the Panasonic Recorder can record PAL from it inbuilt Freeview Tuner and also from the external source via RCA to scart (AFN Receivers dont have scart, only RCA).

Thanks for advice ;)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
If your PAL kit has the posibility of recording an external source, then, clearly a coverter is an option.

Out of interest, have you actually recorded a PAL programme and then an NTSC one - to the same HD/disc (without a converter)? What happens?

Mark.