Changing regional channels on digibox

Welshlad

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new here & new to digital satellite so excuse my naivete (or something like that).

I have a second hand sky digibox with a new dish. I have set the system up and was wondering if I can change the regional settings. I don't have a Sky contract at present as I only got the set up due to the lack of Freeview in my area. According to the BBC I should have BBC2W on channel 102 during the evenings. However I have BBC2 England.

Am I correct in thinking this is because the digibox came from someone in the north of England.

Is there any way I can change channel 102 so I get my local channel.

Any help much appreciated

ATB

Alan

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The only way to do it is to phone Sky and I'm not sure that they would be forthcoming.

Welshlad

Reaction score
Thanks for the rapid reply, I had a feeling that would be the case. If I were to sign up for one of the lesser packages then do you think they would be more forthcoming.

Also because the equipment is mine do I have to go for their 'plug the box into the phone for a year' clause. I have DSL here and i don't like things plugged into it when I don't know what they are doing.

Thanks

Alan

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The only necessity for a phone line connection is if you take advantage of the interactive discount, so no, you won't need to connect it to the phone line and they will change the region for you. :)

Welshlad

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I used to have an old analogue system with a 60cm dish pointing at Astra & a 100cm dish pointing at Eutelsat, but that was very much seat of the pants stuff, I think I have a lot of catching up to do with all this new digital technology.

Good to see there are forums as good as this one to help me on my way.

Thanks

ATB

Alan

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Assuming that the digibox is being use for the FTA channels only , such as BBC1, BBC2 etc, it presumably doesn't have a card in it.

If you could arrange to borrow, for a very short while, a card which is already in use and gives the Welsh channel variants then you can use it to set your box to default to the Welsh ones.

It's vey simple. While the box is switched on simply insert the card into the card slot. There will be a message saying "registering new card" (or something similar) and after about 15 - 30 seconds you will have BBC1 Wales and BBC2 Wales. You'll also find that ITV has been set to HTV but that's not much use as it disappears as soon as you pull the card out to return it to the owner!

If you've already got a card in but it's an English one, see if someone wants to do a swap. You could always try selling it and trying to buy the one you want (actually, do it the other way round - buy first!).

Finally there may be a possibilty of a new card when $ly get their new "free" service up and running.

PaulR