channel 4 hd??

johnneyboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 6900 combo hd ,dell dimesion e250 ,humax pvr hd
My Location
South Dublin ireland
hi people ,c4 hd is just about year on the air, are we going to have it FTA at xmas any views or news :-worship

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Doubt it any time soon.

1) With the collapse of the advertising market theres no commercial advantage in taking a channel off the encrypted service and going free

2) most importantly - theres no space available on Astra 2D

johnneyboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Dublin ireland
thanks for the reply, with freeview hd roll out on way

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It'll come eventually, but the recession has thrown all predictions out of the window.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Latest update is that C4 HD signed a new encryption contract with Sky a few weeks ago.

Source - a post on DS forum by ian-d (who runs the joinfreesat.co.uk website and knows about these things)

Therefore theres no chance whatsoever of C4 HD for probably at least a year

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
What a load of rubbish.. we get C4 HD on cable they obv just signed the contract with the cc so why sub on sky??

johnneyboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Dublin ireland
bold channel 4 ,bold channel 4 ,bold channel 4

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Yeshi said:
What a load of rubbish.. we get C4 HD on cable they obv just signed the contract with the cc so why sub on sky??

It is NOT subscription merely FTV on Sky

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
They are encrypted to ftv level as they cant currently get capacity on the Astra 2D narrow beam.

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
who cares HD is a fricky ripoff'O'-red

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
In what way?

From my own experience (as a Luddite and inveterate late adopter) and reading/hearing that of others, HD is intrinsically better.

But by how much is a matter of:

a. Perception
b. Correct setting up and interfacing of equipment
c. Screen size vs Viewing Distance

Frankly, I find some HD programming better than others - but it's all good.

PS: I'm talking about FTA HD, not Subs. Not wealthy enough, or daft enough, to pay extra.

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
My problem is , HD has become a revenue stream for tv companies and is used as something special , so giving us a picture that is abit better than before , they are using it as a payday:mad: add to that the price of a decent tv, boxes and its a bloody ripoff , we are being conned, lets face it most lcd and plasma tv,s are rubbish in sd and digital so something had to be done so HD is here but by god yer paying for it.HD should be the standard format Full stop, we already pay a hefty licence fee in the uk, so i want my monies worth;) what do we get in hd without paying , yep bugger all , in the uk we get some bbc, on the odd occassion itv and thats it unless you pay through the nose for sky or virgin, as for fta you get the pleasure of luxe unless you have amotarised dish:eek:now we are getting told that hd is coming to freeview, yep more epuipment you need to buy which is way over priced, and i bet it wont be free for long;)Gaz in a bad mood:-rofl2

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
portly said:
, as for fta you get the pleasure of luxe unless you have amotarised dish:eek:

Many of us do ..............

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
portly said:
who cares HD is a fricky ripoff'O'-red

I care.:)

No-one in their right mind can fail to appreciate the superior picture quality offerred by HD transmissions, when viewed on a decent sized screen.

Like all new and good things we often have to pay for them.

saying HD is a fricky??? Ripoff is complete nonsense.

But as you say, having all transmissions HD as standard, now that would be nice.:)

Do you remember how much the 1st DVD players cost, or how much the first Blurays machines were? As the technology progresses and is more widely used, costs come down. Let's hope it does for HD TV too.

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
Robbo said:
I care.:)

No-one in their right mind can fail to appreciate the superior picture quality offerred by HD transmissions, when viewed on a decent sized screen.

Like all new and good things we often have to pay for them.

saying HD is a fricky??? Ripoff is complete nonsense.

But as you say, having all transmissions HD as standard, now that would be nice.:)

Do you remember how much the 1st DVD players cost, or how much the first Blurays machines were? As the technology progresses and is more widely used, costs come down. Let's hope it does for HD TV too.

Wrong its a rip off:-rofl2 the reasson everything cost so much when it comes out is because mugs buy it a inflated prices "ripoff" the reason a few months later a new better product comes out is "ripoff" we got freeview , then oh no they might not work after a change over so buy another box , then we will give you HD so you can buy yet another box "at inflated prices" we will make you pay for poor picture quality and when we want we will make you pay even more for better picture quality:-worship:-rofl2

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
portly said:
Wrong its a rip off:-rofl2 the reasson everything cost so much when it comes out is because mugs buy it a inflated prices "ripoff" the reason a few months later a new better product comes out is "ripoff" we got freeview , then oh no they might not work after a change over so buy another box , then we will give you HD so you can buy yet another box "at inflated prices" we will make you pay for poor picture quality and when we want we will make you pay even more for better picture quality:-worship:-rofl2

Then be a late adopter, like me.

I assumed luddite and cheapskate modes for ages before getting equipped with HD.

Saved a lot of dosh, got kit that was good quality and (so far!) reliable and am delighted with the results.

I imagine may others are equally satisfied.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Tivù said:
And me.

My old CRT, analogue only, TV was nearing the end of its life and finally failed last May. I was bounced into either getting it repaired or replaced. The local repair shop said that in all honesty I would be better off putting the eighty or so pounds towards a new TV.

And this I did. I already had in mind what I wanted - a high end Philips LCD. With judicious bidding on Ebay I picked up a 42PFL9632 for £540, about half of what the seller had paid for it 11 months earlier.

I am just so pleased with the TV. It improves the standard definition picture immensley getting the very best out of what is available. Now that I have an HD source, also bought off Ebay for £50 off normal new retail, which is only about 8 months old I am quite happy for the moment.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Tivù said:

And me - we bought a 28" Panny crt about 5 years ago - its a perfectly decent TV & I expect it to last at least another 5-10 years :D

It certainly wont be replaced with an HD or flat screen tv until it terminally breaks down.

Nelbert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fracarro Penta 85
Cuberevo DVB-S2/T
TM-6800HD
TM-2600 Motor
My Location
Tyne and Wear
Another one here for the late adopters club.

We only got a new screen a couple of months ago because it allowed us to change the room round and reclaim lots of space back for the little one... That's my excuse anyway.

As for the new boxes... it was always coming, but it's why my tv is just a 42" panel with a HDMI and a VGA connector...

Once the receivers are worth getting then it'll be added and I don't need to worry about a tuner in the TV becoming junk. Only reason we have a HD receiver now is the price difference between the 6800HD and the SD boxes was minimal.

johnneyboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Dublin ireland
when more channels switch to hd the pay prestige will be gone ,so come on guys more free hd :-worship