Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hi all,

Odd request - does anyone have any old recordings from either MTV Germany or Channel 5... or both? The recording has to come from Astra 1 from when they were both 'soft encrypted' in Videocrypt. MTV Germany was actually transmitted in clear but carried Videocrypt flags to fool the decoder into er... scrambling it.

I am looking to extract VBI data from these recordings, so the better quality recording the better. Doesn't matter if it's in clear or encrypted - VBI data will still be there.

Thanks
CJ

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
Got quite a bit of stuff from the old VIVA channel --- think it was genuine FTA though?
MTV stuff is unlikely, cant rule it out though ... will try and recall ...

P1260320-Optimized.JPG

Last edited:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah needs to be specifically from MTV Germany or Channel 5 when it was encrypted.

Loved the old Viva channel - lost most tapes when my mum threw them all out. I'll ping you a PM on these.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
VIVA, I remember that channel, there was kind of like regional variations, i.e. there was a Polish version ect, U.K. one was encrypted post digital though am I not right?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
UK's Viva was awful and didn't last long. Viva Germany and Poland are still around but as it's owned by MTV, they are also rubbish these days.

Best channel was TMF Belgium that was broadcast on 16e FTA. Excellent quality - was comparable to a good DVD. Still have many recordings made directly with Nokia 9600 via a SCSI interface, so no quality loss.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
Hi --- found some German MTV on one of my tapes .... just not sure if its old enough ? - see pic - i suspect its slightly more recent than the Viva stuff :(

plus 2 more Viva variation pics P1260336-Optimized.JPG P1260338-Optimized.JPG P1260335-Optimized.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
That's Viva Zwei - great for rock stuff!

Do you know if MTV Germany recording is from analogue or digital? They were in analogue much longer than UK stuff.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
That's Viva Zwei - great for rock stuff!

Do you know if MTV Germany recording is from analogue or digital? They were in analogue much longer than UK stuff.

I don,t know ? the quality seems a little better than the Viva tapes .. i will play it though more fully tomorrow and try and date it from the music content .... none of these tapes have seen the light of day for many years ..... pleased to see some Viva Zwei on one of them :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thanks Nelson. For watching MTV Germany, you would have had to somehow disable the internal Videocrypt decoder- usually by connecting the two pins on the SCART decoder socket together... Or a receiver without the decoder in it.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
A trick I have used in the past to identify date of tape recordings was to play them back by RF and use teletext on the TV - if the channel carried teletect. Was very rarely readable teletext pages but date and time at top was readable but fluctuated a lot.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
A trick I have used in the past to identify date of tape recordings was to play them back by RF and use teletext on the TV - if the channel carried teletect. Was very rarely readable teletext pages but date and time at top was readable but fluctuated a lot.

Thanks for the tip ... Just sent the r.f. signal to my old analogue panasonic ...no joy i,m afraid .... :( on the the MTV or Viva tapes

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Looks like they are from digital era then.

I remember Viva Germany, for quite a long time, retransmitted analogue transmission as you could see sparklies!

TechnoRocker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV
My Location
Lithuania
VIVA, MTV I love them. Is there any fan of them who still watching old recorded?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Technorocker - please fill your location in properly. We are a technical forum and we ask that our members fill their location in accurately. The nearest large town is near enough. Cheers.

TechnoRocker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV
My Location
Lithuania
Ok boss done. Guys let's refresh the topic. Are you still alive ? :-) I remember those funny rave sounds from viva and still like it

z8YkKUy.png