channel master 1.2 setup help

poolshark

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu+ 500gb harddisk, dm800 hd
1.2 metrechannelmaster dish-motorised-superjack 2.
small sat dishes for hotbird.and 28.2.
My Location
derry city n.ireland
im setting up a channel master 1.2 for my mate.i ive used this page :
http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm and it tells me my latitude is 54degrees and i should use the dish elevation of 24.7 degrees to receive THOR my most southerly satelitte.
so my question is : i take this angle to be set at position "x" on the attatched drawing, and my latitude of 54 degrees to be set at position y on drawing....is this correct????

when im pointed at thor my complete setup should be set "straight" at thor as it is my highest point on the arc......again ??????
any help is appreciated.as ive bought the same dish and trying to get my mates sorted first as his is easier to access to tweak

Attachments

• channel master 4.jpg
    channel master 4.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 83

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
From Belfast your most southerly satellite is not Thor, 5W is closer, only a degree away.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Try to visualise what your dish should be pointing at to receive the satellites on the arc. I did a quick drawing to help you visualise what is out there

Attachments

• Clarke.JPG
    Clarke.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 61

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
poolshark said:
im setting up a channel master 1.2 for my mate.i ive used this page :
http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm and it tells me my latitude is 54degrees and i should use the dish elevation of 24.7 degrees to receive THOR my most southerly satelitte.
so my question is : i take this angle to be set at position "x" on the attatched drawing, and my latitude of 54 degrees to be set at position y on drawing....is this correct????

when im pointed at thor my complete setup should be set "straight" at thor as it is my highest point on the arc......again ??????
any help is appreciated.as ive bought the same dish and trying to get my mates sorted first as his is easier to access to tweak

The one that changes the antenna pivot axis, is set at your latititude.(i.e the bottom one)

The adjustment that just tilts the dish up and down is used to adjust the declination i.e to get the correct dish elevation for your nearest sat.

The declination can be adjusted for maximum signal, once you're all connected up.

poolshark

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
derry city n.ireland
i forgot to mention im in derry and my longitude is 7 degrees west......so surely i will be starting with thor ? when ive got thor strong, should i then move my polar mount 7 degrees?????

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You'd be better off notching your polarmount 1 degree West and aligning on 8W in that case http://www.lyngsat.com/8west.html, either that or nothing it 2 degrees East and using 5W. I can see no reasn at all why you would line up on 1W.

poolshark

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
derry city n.ireland
rolfw said:
You'd be better off notching your polarmount 1 degree West and aligning on 8W in that case http://www.lyngsat.com/8west.html, either that or nothing it 2 degrees East and using 5W. I can see no reasn at all why you would line up on 1W.

thanks roflw, so you mean leave polar mount pointing where it is at currently (thor), and align dish to 8west?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The polarmount should have a small allowance for whichever satellite you choose as mentioned above, so if you choose 5W, then allow 2 degrees Eastward, 8 West would be 1 degree Westward.

poolshark

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
derry city n.ireland
so if i do what i said in my last post i should be able to get the dish on the arc then?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not sure what you meant by "so you mean leave polar mount pointing where it is at currently (thor)", forget Thor, but your polarmount should be at dead centre plus or minus the degrees to your nearest due South satellite.

poolshark

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
derry city n.ireland
this is confusing.......currently the polar mount is dead centre and the dish is pointing at thor. 0.8 w. so if i just turn the dish and locate 8w (thats allowing me the difference of 7 degrees).like you said above "You'd be better off notching your polarmount 1 degree West and aligning on 8W in that case"

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Move the whole assembly on the mast, forget 1West it is not your due South.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
surprised you have got it aligned as 5west or 8west is very strong and the 1.2m dish should get it easily but you will need to be more precise with alignement due to the tighter focus on the satellite

poolshark

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
derry city n.ireland
thanks.ive forgot about thor........im moving the whole assembly to 8 degrees west. now this is what you said "but your polarmount should be at dead centre plus or minus the degrees to your nearest due South"