Channel Master/Laminas 1.8m project

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah, have those already somewhere in the garage - will see if I can find them. To be honest, I don't see those bolts undoing themselves. There's a spring washer and the points are unlikely to be under a lot of stress. But like you say, better be safe etc...

A

archive10

How peculiar. With that polar mount you will soon find you in the opposite situation as me - you have an extra CM180 Az/El mount, whereas I have an extra CM180 dish (soon with arms too).
Too bad we don't live near each other, we could have synthesizer a new old dish... :cool:
But I think I probably will have to find a polar mount instead to complement the dish...
(have tried selling it - no-one seem to want it without mount and arms...)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
How peculiar. With that polar mount you will soon find you in the opposite situation as me - you have an extra CM180 Az/El mount, whereas I have an extra CM180 dish (soon with arms too).
Yes... it's freaking heavy too, so postage will be tricky.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Does anyone know of any nice microwave-transparent camouflages available that I could use to disguise my dish? I will paint it anyway, but want it as invisible as possible (even to me). Would something like a hunting/army netting like this be suitable?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
If its only going at low level Alex, I would considering planting some bushes/conifers behind it and then blend the colours in with a few cans of spray paint.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
It shouldn't be seen from behind - there is already vegetation there. More of a worry from the front, though it won't be that bad anyway.

But been at a car show at the weekend (FCS) and saw these camouflages and thought "hmmm"... Looks like they are weather proof as well, so won't rot but don't know how water resistant they are.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
It shouldn't be seen from behind - there is already vegetation there. More of a worry from the front, though it won't be that bad anyway.

But been at a car show at the weekend (FCS) and saw these camouflages and thought "hmmm"... Looks like they are weather proof as well, so won't rot but don't know how water resistant they are.
I've sprayed my 1m dish green. Makes it slightly less visible but I should have found a less glossy paint - tends to catch the sun :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Can I ask where you sourced the arms, might come in handy for someone one day.

I ordered it from SSS but the package came from Eurosat, so I'd be tempted to go to them direct next time.

This link is useful for your CM bits :), I am unsure of postage costs for the arms but cheap here.
Code:
http://www.satcomresources.com/products/Skyware-Global-Hardware-Kits?range=11%2C19%2C19

Capturesdfsdfs.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Great find, Martin! Delivered to UK is $111, which is about £70. There might also be some import charge, though it can't be much on a $45 item.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
While I am here, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a metal LNB holder. I did have one but sold it to Frank on this forum who then passed it to @st1. That one came from a 1m dish, so not sure if it would fit the 1.8m - don't see why not though.

If anyone has one or knows where to get one, let me know :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I know the 1.2/1.8 plastic holders are the same pal, so the metal ones will be, my plastic holder is probably 10 years old + and still like new, as long as you don't start knocking /banging them I cant see a problem with the plastic ones, but if its a metal one you want pal I will keep my eyes open :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Great find, Martin! Delivered to UK is $111, which is about £70. There might also be some import charge, though it can't be much on a $45 item.

I found the link a few weeks ago, but it was after you ordered the arms :(, Some nice new dishes for sale in that link pal :) if only money and planning wasn't a problem for a bigger dish :-biglaugh

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Went to the house yesterday to get measurements for new furniture and thought I'd do a quick site survey... Here's the result to the east:

dp-2015-07-02_13-21-08-643.jpg

The west is as clear as it gets. So... potentially down to 57E from my height level, possibly more if I raise the dish by a metre or so. My biggest concern is the tree, which is lingering around between 53E and 42E mark (around 47E?). Probably won't cause too many issues but these things grow - unless I convince the neighbours to chop it down (unlikely) or kill it myself (not as unlikely). I could move the dish closer to the house but then I definitely lose 57E, being behind the neighbours house. Whether that part of the sky matters too much or not depends on whether I get anything form 56E (Express AM1) - if not, then I'll move it where the tree shouldn't cause too many issues in the future.

I will still put a 1m (potentially 1.2m) dish on the house on the 1224 motor - that will give me clear horizons to both ends at least.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I would try reasoning, with your neighbour, and offer to pay towards getting it cut back, quite a bit, at the moment it looks like it's never been touched. I have a neighbour that regularly has their trees cut, and shaped, to stop them growing that big.
On the plus side it looks like you have a nice garden, for your dish, and fairly open views, for most satellites.
Was the weather bad today, in your area? The sky looks a little dark. We had rain most of yesterday, but so far it's been dry today.

A

archive10

Well, you can always roll-your-own...
Material cost about GBP £30, mostly galvanised stuff and aluminum.

IMAG1185cq.jpg

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Nice...but it's finding that sweet spot to the nearest half a mm that worries me.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I would try reasoning, with your neighbour, and offer to pay towards getting it cut back, quite a bit, at the moment it looks like it's never been touched. I have a neighbour that regularly has their trees cut, and shaped, to stop them growing that big.
On the plus side it looks like you have a nice garden, for your dish, and fairly open views, for most satellites.
Thankfully, the neighbours are friends of my in-laws (pure coincidence), so I am hoping that they are reasonable.

Yes, it's the eastern satellites that would primarily be affected by the tree. The rest of the arc is clear. Actually, there is a young tree at around 1W but it's in my garden so I have full control over that.
Was the weather bad today, in your area? The sky looks a little dark. We had rain most of yesterday, but so far it's been dry today.
That was taken yesterday, actually (Thursday) and yeah, it was peeing it down for parts of the day. It was most welcome too as it was 33℃ with high humidity and no air conditioning the day before. Our house felt like a sauna.

Today was lovely though, 28℃ with a light breeze - felt just right.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Nice Alex your more/less same as me, when the 1.2 was at ground level I could just get 57E, no chance of camouflaging a 1.2 at low level on the front garden pal ?.